cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dspence6
Community Member

How do I start a sandbox?

Jump to solution

I do not see a link or any information on how to set up a sandbox for myself.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@dspence6  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

"Sandbox" is a commonly used term to refer to a blank course or course shell. If you don't see a "Start a New Course" button on your dashboard, it means that your school has disabled instructors' ability to create their own courses, and you will need to contact the local Canvas admin for the school to request a sandbox course.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@dspence6  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

"Sandbox" is a commonly used term to refer to a blank course or course shell. If you don't see a "Start a New Course" button on your dashboard, it means that your school has disabled instructors' ability to create their own courses, and you will need to contact the local Canvas admin for the school to request a sandbox course.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Thank you, that is the problem, I am not able to create a new course. It is also was a bit confusing, however, I now understand that 'creating a new course' to practice in is the same thing as setting up a 'sandbox'. I have never seen it stated anywhere that those are synonymous events or things.

Thank you,

Don

@dspence6 ‌

It is common for schools to disable instructors' ability to create a new course, as the school's admin in those cases generally manages courses and users through an external application/SIS. I found this page of contact links for your school that might help you get the "sandbox" set up: Contact Information | Valencia College