How do I use IXL & Delta Math with Canvas?

Jump to solution
marmioli
Community Explorer

I am very new to Canvas, we are not even live yet but our Secondary Math department reached out to me & asked me the following questions.Our Math department uses Google Classroom & they insert links to IXL & Delta Math for students to do work. 

1. Will IXL & Delta Math work with Canvas.

2. They also wanted to know if the can still use their Texas Instrument Calculators with Canvas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa Marmion

North Penn School District

marmioli@npenn.org

1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@marmioli  

As far as I can determine, neither IXL or DeltaMath have integrations with Canvas. You can link to them, but they have their own sign-in system. There is no automatic grade passback from IXL or DeltaMath to Canvas. Since both are full sites, I would not try to embed the content within Canvas, but link out to their systems. Some sites do not allow you to embed their content at all (they send codes to block a browser from embedding the content), but even if they allow it, I still wouldn't do it.

The at-home learning for teachers page from the IXL help center says "You can also copy a skill’s unique URL into any LMS or shared document that you are using to communicate assignments to your students." That is the only page that comes up for a search for "LMS" and no hits come up for "Canvas." Other institutions just link to the main page for IXL and let them log in there.

The DeltaMath Frequently Asked Questions page answered "Does DeltaMath integrate with Google Classroom or other automated roster systems?" with "No. Not at this time. Students must make their own accounts on deltamath.com and select their section from a dropdown menu of classes set up by the teacher." You can get the link to specific items within assignments but not to the assignment itself (the equivalent in Canvas would be to link to an assignment, but not to the module within the modules page that contains the assignment).

The question about the TI Calculator throws me a little. Unless there is something special going on that you didn't mention, TI Calculators are hand-held devices that are completely independent on any web-based application (Canvas, DeltaMath, IXL, or even Google). If a student had a TI-84 (for example), they could use it on anything, including anything within Canvas. There is no way to keep them from using their calculators, even when you don't want them to, other than an honor statement (are all students honorable?) or a web-cam solution to watch them taking the exam. Now, if your school holds the TI calculators for the students in the classroom and you're on lockdown with remote learning, then obviously the students would need to get the calculators somehow. But once they have the calculators, then they could use them with Canvas.

View solution in original post