[ARCHIVED] How to allow students to upload a file but not show it in gradebook?

jimsquire
Community Member

What a supportive community!  I'm a new Canvas user, but a previous user of other LMSs, and I'm not sure how to do something I think should be simple: allow students to upload files without it appearing as a graded assignment in the gradebook. 

Here's what I've tried: The only way to create an opportunity to have students upload files (that I've found) is to create an assignment.  If I choose “Display Grade As” in the dropdown box as “Not Graded”, then the corresponding column won't appear in GradeBook, as desired.  But that choice unfortunately also removes options to allow a student to upload a submission to disappear too. Changing the “Display Grade As” back to any other method brings back the file upload options, but also brings back the gradebook column. 

Thoughts?

(The scenario, which doesn't matter for the problem, is that I have students submit small computer problem solutions corresponding to their readings 3x/week during the semester.  I don't individually grade each, but I assign an end of semester overall class participation grade based on my overall impression of their work.  I don't want the grade screen cluttered with 40 columns of daily assignment grades hiding their 6 major submission grades, especially when those 40 assignments aren't individually graded).

Labels (2)