cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ansteffe

How to retrieve a class account that I accidentally deleted

A teacher shared her class with me, and I wanted to get myself off the class as teacher.  I ended up accidentally deleting her class.  Can I get it retrieve it?  I feel terrible to have accidentally deleted hours of her hard work.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ansteffe ...

Hi there...and oh no!  The course should be able to be restored, but it will probably have to be done by your school's local Canvas administrator or someone from your school's Online Learning/eLearning department.  Here is what I'd recommend for your Canvas admin (there may be an easier way, but this is one way to do it):

1. Log in to your school's "test" or "beta" environment.
  2. In either of these environments, navigate to the course.
  3. Take note of the Course ID number in the URL of the course.
  4. Sign out of the "test" or "beta" environment.
  5. Sign in to your school's "production" environment (the environment that you normally sign in to every day).
  6. As the Canvas admin, follow the steps in this Guide: How do I restore a deleted course in an account? - Canvas Community...using the Course ID number that you identified in Step #3 above.

I am hoping that this will restore the course for you and your colleague.  Please keep Community members posted on this.  Good luck to you!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

0 Kudos
ansteffe

Will these instructions work for the unpaid version?  We have the free version of Canvas.

0 Kudos

@ansteffe ...

My guess is that they will not work...as there is no administrative side to the Free for Teachers version.  You may need to reach out to Canvas technical support to get help with this issue.  Good luck!

0 Kudos