Issue with Changing Password for Canvas Account Created via Google Login

Atanu
Community Novice

Hi,

I am a teacher using a free Canvas teacher account. When I first signed up, I logged in directly using my Google account without going through the process of actually creating a Canvas account. I have been using this method to access my account since then.

The issue arose when I tried to log in to Canvas on my iPad, which required an ID and password that obviously, I don't have! I attempted to use the "Forgot Password" option, which sent an email with a link. However, clicking the link simply logs me in without providing an option to create or change my password.

To work around this, I added another email address to my Canvas account. This also sent an email with a link that I used to log in. After doing this, a "Change Password" option appeared in the settings section of my Canvas account. Unfortunately, it requires my "old password," which I never set up, obviously! 

On another occasion while trying to use the "forgot password" option, I received the following e-mail:

"The password for this login should have been given to you by the system administrators at Free for Teacher, and Instructure doesn't have access to your password. If your password is not working, please contact the system administrators about changing or verifying your password."

I don't know what "administrator" they are talking about! My canvas is not associated with any school, I just directly use the free canvas teacher account available onlin!

I am confused about why the "Forgot Password" option does not allow me to create or change my password and only logs me in directly. How can I set a password for my Canvas account in this situation?

Thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,
Atanu

Labels (1)
0 Likes