Mastery Paths without Points?

Jump to solution
jennifer_hough
Community Participant

I am interested in using Mastery Paths and am curious if it is possible to do it without points? I use the Learning Mastery Gradebook for competency-based grading and think the Mastery Paths would be a great addition, but it is tied to points currently. Is there a way to avoid that?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @jennifer_hough - When I've used Mastery Paths to "choose a path", I create check-points worth very very little. I've had luck using fractions of points for the different "levels" just so students are less worried about selecting based on value. Alternatively, to be able to use a larger range of scores to dictate the learning path, I've used Weighted Grades and created an assignment group worth 0%...just for these check-points. After explaining its purpose to the students, it seemed to work really well. They ignored the scores, and few families questioned it as I also included an italicized disclaimer on my checkpoint assignment.

How do I weight the final course grade based on assignment groups? 

I'd be happy to collaborate more if you have questions! Mastery Paths is an awesome tool. 🙌

View solution in original post