Multiple Numeric Answers

Jump to solution
georginagreer
Community Member

I need to be able for students to input multiple numeric answers in to a question, specifically for questions that have multiple correct answers...not either/or answers, but both answers must be correct in order for the question to be correct. Is there a way to do this? Right now, I'm just seeing where the quiz will count if one of the answers is inputted, but I need both answers to be there to be correct.  Any help or insight?

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@georginagreer  

With Classic / Legacy Quizzes, you will have to manually grade questions to accomplish this.

You can make it an essay question and manually grade it for each student. Students will not know their final grade until you grade the question.

You can use two numeric questions and go back and manually re-grade them for each student. You should be specific in the directions so that they can only enter one correct answer for each. Perhaps tell them to enter the smaller value in the first question and the larger value in the second question.  Students scores may be reduced from their original score, so you will need to let them know this is a possibility.

There is a Student Analysis Report that will output the answers for each student in a CSV file that can be brought into Excel. There you can check to see which students answered only one of the question correctly (creating a column for the sum of the points awarded and then sorting by that column is a quick way). Then you go back into Canvas and change the score for the students.

Using multiple fill in the blank questions is often recommended to people to get auto-graded numeric responses, but it gives partial credit so that will not meet your criteria.

With New Quizzes, you can have a multiple answer question that allows for "All or Nothing" type grading. You are essentially giving students answers to choose from rather than having them come up with them on their own, but you can get that all answers must be selected to get any credit for the question.

The other two options would still work with New Quizzes, but I have not seen a student analysis report for the New Quizzes that would help you to quickly identify which students needed regraded. That means you would have to revert back to going through each student individually.

I used essay questions to grade homework in a College Algebra class with 24 students a few summers ago.There were five problems per student per night and it actually went faster than I could have hoped. If you had a huge class, using the Student Analysis Report would be a quick way. Long term, New Quizzes is the future, but right now it is missing some functionality.

View solution in original post

0 Likes