Multiple group membership?

Jump to solution
zcburns
Community Member

I'd like to assign students to multiple Groups within the same set. I'm pretty sure there's no way to do this with the standard Canvas usage, so I'm wondering whether anyone has any workarounds or other methods to accomplish this.

Additional information: student teams are leading presentation of book chapters. Every student is assigned to 2 chapter teams (and there's no team overlap, AKA a student won't collaborate with another student twice). I'd like the Groups assignment to function as a default place to get in touch with one another and coordinate, even if they don't use all the collaboration tools of Groups - many teams develop their own methods. In my imagination, the actual perfect setup would be Groups, but I can assign each student to 2 Groups! (Again, I know this isn't how Groups was designed, hence the need for a different solution.)

Thanks for any advice!

0 Likes
1 Solution
mzimmerman
Community Contributor

Hi!

I think your only real option for doing this is to create a separate Group Set for each Group/Team, then assign whichever students need to be in that group and leave the others out.  It makes it harder to figure out which students should be in each group, since you can't view all the group memberships in one place, but it does allow for you to place students in multiple groups.

View solution in original post