Private journal discussions

Jump to solution
cliffkc
Community Member

I would like to create a private graded individual journal discussion for each student; where I will be able to comment and grade each journal entry separately.   Would like to have 4 submitted journal entries all in one place for each student.  Is this possible? If so, how?

Thank you.

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @cliffkc ...

Although I've not tested this, I think this should be possible via groups.  Here are the steps I'm thinking of:

1. In your course, click on People and then the + Group Set button.
  2. Name the new group set something like Graded Journal (or whatever you want to call it).
  3. Within the new Group Set that you created, you'll need to create a group for each of your students.  So, if you have 20 students, you'll need to create 20 groups.  The names of these groups can be whatever you want.  (Ex: Group 1, Group 2, Blue, Green, Cats, Dogs, whatever...)
  4. Assign each student to just one of the groups in the Group Set.
  5. Now, create a brand new graded Discussion topic.  (You could also calls this Graded Journal if you wanted.)
  6. Make sure to check the option for "This is a Group Discussion".  A drop-down list will appear.
  7. Select the Group Set name from the drop-down list that you created in step #1.
  8. Save your changes to your Discussion topic.

This should set up a discussion for you where you will be able to have one-on-one conversations with students in a discussion topic.  It would look something like some of the screen shots near the bottom of this Guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13039-415264224

Hope this helps, Kathi!

View solution in original post