cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AS81
Community Member

Using SpeedGrader with Google Assignments (LTI 1.3)

Jump to solution

It appears that there is not currently a streamlined way to use speedgrader with the new Google Assignments integration.  All I've found is forcing students make a copy of the document then upload the file, and many, MANY students can't figure out how to submit a file without a teacher standing over their shoulder, so I can't fathom that this is the plan for the future.  It would make the "updated" version's functionality seriously inferior to the older version.

When will the Google Assignments (LTI 1.3) be updated so we can grade the assignments in SpeedGrader?  Or at least have an option where we don't have to go to 3 different pages just to get to the grading page? 

Will there also be an option to give grades students who haven't yet submitted?  It's nice to be able to see students' work as they're doing it, but since I can't grade it while I'm seeing it, this is a less useful feature than it could be.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nwilson7
Community Champion

@AS81 I don't have an answer to the SpeedGrader portion but we are not having any of the same issues as you are.  Once you create the assignment, our students just click on it like any other assignment.  It immediately takes them to a copy of the document created for them and they can work on it.  Then in the top right corner is a blue "Submit" button that they click once they are done.  When the instructor clicks on the assignment it shows that the students has submitted it vs. still working on it and then they can interact with it and suggest changes and if they are ready, they can put a grade in on that screen that successfully passes back to the gradebook.  Although the document does not show in SpeedGrader, the final grade does reflect correctly in there.  It sounds like the students are not clicking the submit button for it to be submitted and be able to be graded.  

Not sure if that helps it all but thought I would share.

-Nick

View solution in original post

4 Replies
nwilson7
Community Champion

@AS81 I don't have an answer to the SpeedGrader portion but we are not having any of the same issues as you are.  Once you create the assignment, our students just click on it like any other assignment.  It immediately takes them to a copy of the document created for them and they can work on it.  Then in the top right corner is a blue "Submit" button that they click once they are done.  When the instructor clicks on the assignment it shows that the students has submitted it vs. still working on it and then they can interact with it and suggest changes and if they are ready, they can put a grade in on that screen that successfully passes back to the gradebook.  Although the document does not show in SpeedGrader, the final grade does reflect correctly in there.  It sounds like the students are not clicking the submit button for it to be submitted and be able to be graded.  

Not sure if that helps it all but thought I would share.

-Nick

View solution in original post

jhawk
Community Participant

I know this says that it has been resolved, but I do not see a resolution for the Google documents not showing up in Speedgrader. Are teachers no longer able to open assignments from the Google Assignment 1.3 LTI in Speedgrader? Do they have to open it in Google, then grade it, then go to Speedgrader to enter the grade? Our teachers will stop using the LTI if that is how they have to access the assignments in Canvas. 

I would really like to know about the documents showing up in Speedgrader, not just how to submit. The teachers can see that assignments are submitted, but not see the assignment in Speedgrader. Any answers?

nwilson7
Community Champion

@jhawk I do not believe the SpeedGrader viewing portion has been fixed.  I think I saw where Google was working on that as they have taken over the development of the LTI (previously Canvas created it).  As far as the grading piece though, you can grade in the Google area and when the instructor submits that grade, it shows in Speedgrader and the Gradebook.  They do not have to enter it anywhere else.

-Nick

jhawk
Community Participant

Thank you. I will pass this on to our teachers. I am afraid they are becoming disgruntled with the Google Assignments LTI, so I hope it is fixed soon.