cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WinonaHorton
Community Member

Viewing Grades

Jump to solution

I have followed the instructions to view grades but I am still unable to do so.  I know that grades are being inputted because I receive an email notification with the actual grade but I am unable to view them on canvas through desktop or app.  Also the canvas video to assist with navigating canvas is not helpful because it does not used useful because it does not look like the canvas that I have available to me.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @WinonaHorton -

The Observer role can be an amazing tool for you as you help your student. 

First, take a look at the Clarity for Canvas Observers blog. It's full of tips for maximizing your use of Canvas.

You shared you'd like to change your notifications. It's simple, and this lesson will walk you through the process: How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as an observer? 

Next, you shared you'd like to view grades for your student. I think these lessons will be your best go-to resources: How do I view the Grades page for a student as an observer? and How do I view Grades in the Dashboard as an observer? 

After reviewing these, let us know what else you'd like to learn more about! We'll collaborate and do our best to connect you with the resources you need. I'm glad you found the Community. 🙂

View solution in original post

5 Replies
gnoack
Community Champion

Hi @WinonaHorton 

It sounds like you are a student.  If so, I would contact your instructor.  They may have removed the link to grades from the course navigation. 

Hello,

I am a parent.  My daughter is in 3rd grade.  When I log into canvas it is as a observer but I did not put in an observer pairing code.  It shows her name as student being observed.  When I contacted the school they informed me to contact Canvas.  I have emailed by daughters teacher and have not received a response back yet.  He has probably been inundated with emails as it is only really means besides video/telephone conferencing that parents can reach out.  The current configuration is getting really confusing because I am getting this grade has been changed messages too. I just want to help identify problem areas before 9 week reports come and I find out she was struggling in a specific subject.  I have also contacted the teacher about specific grades that I noticed were below 80 and I have received very generic answers.  When she does bring the graded assignments home we go over everything she got wrong so I help her understand how and why she got the answers wrong.  We have even set up games and living maps in the house to help understand some of the concepts in a fun manner.  I am just trying to be proactive and maybe share the possible solutions to help some of the other parents who have just about given up.

Winona

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @WinonaHorton -

The Observer role can be an amazing tool for you as you help your student. 

First, take a look at the Clarity for Canvas Observers blog. It's full of tips for maximizing your use of Canvas.

You shared you'd like to change your notifications. It's simple, and this lesson will walk you through the process: How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as an observer? 

Next, you shared you'd like to view grades for your student. I think these lessons will be your best go-to resources: How do I view the Grades page for a student as an observer? and How do I view Grades in the Dashboard as an observer? 

After reviewing these, let us know what else you'd like to learn more about! We'll collaborate and do our best to connect you with the resources you need. I'm glad you found the Community. 🙂

View solution in original post

WinonaHorton
Community Member

Hi @WinonaHorton -

If you're still unable to view Grades, I think reaching out to the district is a great next step. It is possible that your district and/or school has disabled that permission for families. They may be able to explain the reasoning behind their role set-up, too. Good luck!