Latest Topics

The latest questions and discussions about Canvas LMS. Ask a question, start a discussion, contribute to the global Instructure Community

My courses do not have the 'Files' section, which is where I think I would normally be able to find embedded videos from the Module sections. I've right clicked the videos and 'saved as' onto my computer, but when I try to reopen, it opens in Canvas....

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 09-05-2021 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 Replies

Is there a way to select all students whose grade is below a certain percentage to send them an inbox message?

(Community Participant)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 11-22-2021 View Solution
  • 6 Likes
  • 13 Replies

Our class sections are cross listed. Some teachers would like to be able to print grades from a single section instead of all sections. Even if I am looking at only a single section of a class in the gradebook, when I go to export the grades, it expo...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 03-02-2017 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 Replies

I run a hybrid class in which half the class attends discussions, which are recorded on Panopto and are required viewing for students who do not attend discussions. Yesterday was the first time that I looked at the statistics, and they're TERRIBLE. I...

(Community Contributor)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 01-19-2022 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 Replies

How do I get rid of the external links icon? I read the following in a discussion board, but it doesn't make sense to me.   "I managed to get rid of the icon by copying the table, erasing what was there, and pasting it back in."Thank you

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 04-13-2017 View Solution
  • 5 Likes
  • 9 Replies

Thanks to all who participated in the discussions on Adding custom menu items and Help With Custom Menu Icons and Script.  It has helped me add an icon to our global navigation menu for our campus libraries. My question is this - is there an open boo...

(Community Contributor)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 04-14-2017 View Solution
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 Replies

Our teachers rely heavily on the quiz log to catch student cheating during exams. However, I'm noticing that the quiz log will note a student "stopped viewing the quiz" when they have not left the quiz screen. I even tested this myself masquerading a...

(Community Participant)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 4 Likes
  • 7 Replies

I cannot add links to my pages in edit mode.  The files tab does not function and I get an error under Pages.  Loading failed...No Results.  Has anyone run into this error...Thanks

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 Replies

I've finished creating a Quiz (really an exam) in my Canvas course. I normally have three sections, which I've made into Question Sets: Matching, Quote ID ("Essay Question" type), and Short Answer (also "Essay Question" type).I normally give students...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 02-19-2017 View Solution
  • 8 Likes
  • 16 Replies

What is <canvas-install-url> on the request :  GET https://<canvas-install-url>/login/oauth2/auth?client_id=XXX&response_type=code&redirect_uri=https://example.com/oauth_complete&state=YYYI am creating a new LTI and working on the authentication piec...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 02-16-2017 View Solution
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

I have a certain number of points being awarded for the roll call attendance.  Only students who have never been absent have points showing up in the grade book.  Any student who was marked absent at least once does not have a grade in the grade book...

(Community Participant)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 02-20-2017 View Solution
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 Replies

When setting up grade categories, will I create new "groups" and then place assignments inside these groups? If this is correct, when I post in PowerSchool, will these grades post as I have them set up in PowerSchool?

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 02-13-2017 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 Replies

I gave my class a test.  Now I want to post the grades.  The instructions seem to explain everything conceivable except this most obvious of questions.  Where is this most secret of secretes kept?

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 Replies

This is the first time I have seen this. The student was taking the quiz while not under my direct observation and their score was higher than normal.  Does this mean anything?

(Community Champion)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 02-10-2017 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 Replies

Hi there,I simply want to re-order the multiple quizzes that I have created within one of my courses, but there is no simple option for re-ordering them. I can't drag and drop, and no obvious way in any drop-down menus to alter the order.If I wanted ...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 02-09-2017 View Solution
  • 6 Likes
  • 22 Replies

Hi,I have been using OneNote Class Notebook for a number of years in Teaching, and have existing resources/lesson plans all ready done. My question is, our school has just changed to Canvas LMS, and it seems to link with OneNote seamlessly, BUT only ...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 3 Likes
  • 9 Replies

Is there a quick way to report INDIVIDUAL grade reports for each student in a course? I know I can export all grades to excel and I can click on a student and print their individual grade report. But is there one button that will create a report for ...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 10 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Yesterday I had a strange issue - a published page was invisible to students. The module was open and other pages were visible. Removing the requirements in the module setting did not allow students to see the page. Removing the page from the module ...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 9 Likes
  • 22 Replies

UPDATE Jan 18, 2018  —Still broken. No word on a fix....UPDATE Aug 8, 2017  —Canvas recognizes this is a bug and is working on a fix (Cases #01843701, #01865357, #02000557). Not sure how or where to get updates on their progress.UPDATE Aug 4, 2017  —...

(Community Champion)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 10-06-2021 View Solution
  • 36 Likes
  • 114 Replies

I am teaching a class for the second time and I would like to get anonymous feedback from the students about changes I can make to improve the course materials or lectures. I would like to initiate a discussion with the students but I want their resp...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 09-16-2021 View Solution
  • 10 Likes
  • 13 Replies

The university wants to create a custom assignment for 10k+ students, who have been added to a specific course.Based on each students university student id a link is generated. We want the students to get this link as there assignment. What is the be...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 01-27-2017 View Solution
  • 5 Likes
  • 13 Replies

Is there a faster way to move multiple questions between banks?  I am importing custom banks from offline for merger into my existing banks, and once I import them, I go to Move Multiple Questions (from inside Manage Question Banks window, after open...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 03-23-2017 View Solution
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Not sure where to post this as I cannot add comments to the release. Not able to embed or link to Google Forms. Anyone confirm or dispute this?Thanks

(Community Coach)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 10-16-2019 View Solution
  • 4 Likes
  • 9 Replies

Is it possible to hide grading totals until a later date in the semester? I want students to see the graded assignments, but not the overall total grade at this time.

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 01-26-2017 View Solution
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 Replies

In my own menu "Files" is greyed out.  The files I've uploaded have a green icon saying that they're published, but my students can't see them.     What I've been able to find in the documentation says that by default, files are supposed to be visibl...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 01-13-2022 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 Replies

What exactly does "Remember, changes to question templates won't automatically update quizzes that are already using those questions." mean? When I find an error in a quiz question that pulls from a bank and I fix the question, have I really fixed th...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 01-26-2017 View Solution
  • 1 Likes
  • 11 Replies

Does anyone know why Canvas sizes SCORM at about 40% of the browser window width?It looks like the iframe is of a fixed size, and I am trying to figure out how to increase the width so that the SCORM uses all available screen real estate.thanks!ricar...

(Community Champion)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 02-16-2017 View Solution
  • 7 Likes
  • 11 Replies

Looking for a way to have our instructors receive notification when a student has passed X quiz.

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 01-25-2017 View Solution
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 Replies

We are using SCORM packages as graded assignments for compliance courses.  As it happens the content has been changed and needs to be updated.  We have not found a way to replace or overwrite the current SCORM package with the new content and maintai...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 09-28-2020 View Solution
  • 6 Likes
  • 20 Replies

We would like to know how to set the Canvas session timeout period to 480 minutes.

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 01-20-2017 View Solution
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies