Latest Topics

The latest questions and discussions in Canvas Question Forum. Ask a question, start a discussion, contribute to the global Instructure Community

Filter by Label:

Has anyone heard of or found a clever technique that students can use to view/Preview course files (linked in a Page/etc. or from Files or /files) that will mask the fact that they did view/download the file? I've done things every which way from Sun...

• 2 Likes
  • 4 Replies

We have more than one unit (sub account) on our campus that utilizes a separate SIS system from the other units.Currently we appoint an SIS admin for the unit and allow them to upload the SIS update; that is being done via the UI.Given the problems t...

Community Participant
Canvas Question Forum
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 Replies

As a college that uses narrative evaluation rather than letter grades,our campus would greatly appreciate the ability to customize this particular course navigation link (at the account-level).And if this is currently possible, we'd love to know how ...

Community Contributor
Canvas Question Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 Replies

It just came to my attention that right now there is no way to delete chat messages in Canvas. We had a situation where a student posted private/confidential information in a chat session with an Instructor and since we can't delete it we are now for...

Community Coach Community Coach
Canvas Question Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 0 Replies

At the University of Oslo, we are using Camtasia Studio to record and produce mini-lectures. The final product consist of a folder that contains 8 files of the following types: html, xml, css, swf, mp4, png. Is there a simple way to import/embed thes...

• 14 Likes
  • 17 Replies

I have faculty who have created quizzes in Canvas, but have later realized that they'd like those quiz questions to be added to question banks. From what I can see, it is possible to add a question bank question to a quiz, but not the reverse. Can so...

• 5 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Using Tabs in Your Canvas CourseVideo Link - http://screencast.com/t/y8kKgBuGOWT8 Utilizing tabs in your course may be a good idea for a variety or reasons.Aesthetics – Tabs can improve your course design by making your course more visually appealing...

• 48 Likes
  • 74 Replies

The  @jivedocs_unfede ​ has provided Canvas users with a guide on how to cross-list sections in a course but does not have a tutorial video for cross-listing in this community.   I was recently speaking with a Community Member and he loves the video ...

Instructure Alumni Instructure Alumni
Canvas Question Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 0 Replies

I'm working on a Canvas Gradebook hands-on, online training session for instructors. I'd like to provide each participant access to an individual,  populated Canvas Gradebook so they can experiment during the session.

Is this possible? Any advice is...

Community Explorer
Canvas Question Forum
  • 13 Likes
  • 12 Replies

We just completed our annual student (and faculty) tech survey. We do it each year, then look at trend analysis. It's based on the EDUCAUSE (ECAR) research instrument. It's pretty comprehensive. (The results are 85 pages.) n= 1,100. As it relates to ...

Community Champion
Canvas Question Forum
  • 4 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Is there a way to merge Canvas accounts for students and staff?  We have several students in programs outside our school who participate in Canvas as well as teachers who are in higher ed that use Canvas.  Is there a way to merge these accounts for a...

• 4 Likes
  • 4 Replies

I  just got a report from a faculty member who has been using Canvas for a while that he "had a bunch of information for students in posts on this discussion and they have just disappeared!"I checked his site and can't find the posts he said that he ...

• 4 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Is it possible to get a single canvas_course_id or an array of canvas_course_ids returned using the API? Here's what I'm running.curl -s -F attachment=@"$zip_file" -F "extension=zip&import_type=instructure_csv" -H "$AUTH_HEADER" "https://$MYDOMAIN.in...

• 3 Likes
  • 8 Replies

Is there a setting to include courses in the Report for Courses that do not have SIS IDs.  I am thinking that most or all of these courses were manually created and an SIS ID was not required, just a Course Code and Name.  *I was trying to prove that...

Community Champion
Canvas Question Forum
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 Replies

All 11 of the Idea/Enhancement requests for having permissions that included add, edit, delete, remove, etc as one setting separated into multiple settings have received more than 100 votes and were moved into the Gathering Information stage. Canvas ...

Community Coach Community Coach
Canvas Question Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 0 Replies

It is before the assignment due date, and one student accidentally submitted a partly completed assignment. I would like to give this one student an extra submission on the assignment, but I don't want to give the whole class two submissions. How do ...

• 5 Likes
  • 19 Replies

Hello.I am a high school teacher and pretty new to Canvas. I need to display my grades as a percentage score ( 100 point scale ) instead of points out of, for example, 25. I have a bunch of grades to record on another system this weekend and don't wa...

• 3 Likes
  • 10 Replies

Has anyone got the "comment" tags to work in a published Canvas Page?  Every time I add a comment <!-- Comment here --> to the page and publish it, Canvas wipes my code out. 

• 9 Likes
  • 9 Replies

Hi all,I uploaded a 5MB MP4 to a module in my course. When I click on the corresponding link, I'm told "Media has been queued for conversion, please try again in a little bit." This has been queued for 10+ minutes now. I've searched, but I can't find...

• 9 Likes
  • 7 Replies

If your institution opts to have a log-out period for security/privacy reasons there is currently no log-out session warning due to inactivity. This means that when a user is in the Canvas system, they are not alerted when their session expires or if...

• 2 Likes
  • 3 Replies

Can teachers cross list courses that were manually created with ones that were part of LDAP integration?

• 5 Likes
  • 4 Replies

We are new to Canvas and I'm one of the admins to our district's site.  I see the ability to create groups but I don't know what this actually does.  Here is what I'd like to do: If teachers create courses, let's say for a sponsored group or a sport,...

• 5 Likes
  • 5 Replies

It's not clear to me what the difference is between sharing a private portfolio with the link, and making a portfolio public - both are shareable with a link to people outside of canvas ?thanks for any clarificationsue

• 3 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Hi Awesome Canvas people,With many people moving to the new Canvas UI and utilising the Canvas Theme Editor, I was wondering what cool things people have done with it and how they are leveraging CSS/JS with the new look and feel. I had an admin John....

• 31 Likes
  • 30 Replies

Hello everyone,I had the need to upload videos for a course but one of the requirements was to prevent the videos be downloaded. I found a workaround to achieve this:When you embed you videos activate the HTML editor.In the code look at this: class="...

Community Champion
Canvas Question Forum
  • 8 Likes
  • 6 Replies

I am trying to make some interactive content in a page. Ideally, there would be a button that upon being pressed would yield some further information sort of analogous to the javascript alert method, except without the popup box and javascript. Inste...

• 31 Likes
  • 38 Replies

I want to conclude a bunch of courses and while it is possible to do this via a SIS file I would like to do it via the api.  Is this possible?

• 1 Likes
  • 2 Replies

We have not enabled the full profile as explained in this guide.How do I edit my Profile?I tested this about two years ago and found that students could change/edit their name in all three fields. This was deemed unacceptable since this would also ch...

• 3 Likes
  • 4 Replies

I think collaborations and Google Drive will work great for my professional learning communities and Continuous School improvement groups. Are there other tools that work well for "Professional Groups?"  Would I just build a group in Canvas and use ...

• 2 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Is there a journaling feature in Canvas?  A high school biology teacher wants his students to answer a "bell ringer" question every day to start class.  At the end of the marking period he wants to see the responses sorted by student so he can grade ...

Community Contributor
Canvas Question Forum
  • 16 Likes
  • 14 Replies