Latest Topics

The latest questions and discussions about Canvas LMS. Ask a question, start a discussion, contribute to the global Instructure Community

I am trying to create a quiz with a Fill in Multiple Blanks problem. I am using the math equation editor to create a problem where the students are to evaluate radicals with an index. For instance (under the advanced view) in the math equation editor...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

I would like to have students record videos using the RCE and post them as discussion posts, rather than using text. To meet accessibility requirements, videos need to be captioned. I see there's a way for instructors to create and add caption files ...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 Replies

All of a sudden I can't click on my "Files" tab on Canvas to upload any files. How can I fix this?  I see the tab and I've used in hundreds of times. Now, it's dull looking and not active. Please help!

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Is there a way to set up one assignment submission window for multiple drafts/deadlines for writing, the first two ungraded with commentary only, and the last one graded.  When I grade the final paper, I like to look back over its evolution, and I li...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

I receive newly scheduled courses in my dashboard, but can't figure out how to have them automatically added to my calendar in canvas.  Seems like it should be an easy setting to find, ..... Can anyone tell me where I'll find this?

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Is there a way to configure Canvas's calendar feed so it appears on a student's primary Outlook calendar? I don't know how many people are willing to look at a separate calendar. We'd like to set up weekly recurring appoints for the same time and hav...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

How do I view users that have been invited to verify their user account in Canvas but have yet to respond to the automated email that was sent to the? The People view seems to only show verified accounts and not those that have been manually added bu...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 01-13-2021 View Solution
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

With the old RCE I could upload a video, adjust the size, and when it posted to the page, the video was there (picture too) and would play from the page.  Now, it seems like I have to make a picture first, upload the picture, then embed the link into...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 1 Likes
  • 0 Replies

When you use the "Reset Course Content" function in Settings, does it unenroll the students, too, or do they stay enrolled in the course?  I'm trying to reset a continuing education course for the new year. I need to keep the same students and link t...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Hi,  My courses from last semester have gone into 'past enrollments'. This seems to have locked my grade book so I now cannot add any grades or edit what has been submitted in the grade book. What should I do to be able to edit the grade book again? ...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

As an instructor that has worked with Canvas for a while now, I have noticed several things that could use improvement, but one thing in particular that is needed is better instructor organization options. Quizzes:  I used quizzes through Canvas regu...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Twice now I have created a matching quiz. I have filled in the left side with my vocab and the right side with the matching definitions and saved. When I preview it, there is nothing there. Questions are gone. I also looked at it in the student view....

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

i am wondering if it is possible to make the dashboard cards appear smaller? They are too big and does not present a good over view when you have 10+ ongoing courses    BR Maria (instructor) 

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 Replies

I would like my students to be able to see the correct answers to quizzes along with the rationale for each.  I've entered the rationale for incorrect answers in the boxes after each answer.  However, if a student gets the question wrong after 3 atte...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Is it possible to update a document that is already in a module without deleting that entry and making a new one? For example, I have something in my 1-1 Module called Lesson 1-1 Practice Sheet.  It is a Word document.  I noticed an error in the docu...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

I am working with a teacher who posted a pretty basic assignment with instructions and an Online Submission: text entry or file upload. Her students are seeing a message that says: "LTI Launch Error. Course not connected to grid yet. Contact your ins...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Hi there, We regularly come across an issue with the Canvas editor where if you delete the text in a link, without using the unlink button, the html for the link remains in the page. This then appears as additional or broken links in the link checker...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

When I use my Android phone to post on the discussion board, my name comes up as DubLabsUser...... I can see my classes and discussions, so I know it's linked. And when I go into my profile it has my name and email address.  Can anyone help me?  

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

How can  answers in a quiz can be annotated? As in highlight correct answer, strike through incorrect, insert comment etc. => i.e. NOT the generic comment box,

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

How to stop question order being different from student to student when creating paper from question bank. Canvas automatically goes into jumble mode then, and keeping ‘shuffle questions’ box off does not seem to make any difference.

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

HiIs there a way to disable or hide the next button via an external tool? I want to prevent the students on accessing the next segment before finishing the given exercise. External tool is in an iframe within canvas so I cannot access variables or el...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 01-15-2021 View Solution
  • 1 Likes
  • 3 Replies

Is it possible to assign a seperate "To Do" date to different groups on the one page? I know I can create different due dates for assignments but I would like students to know exactly what date we covered specific content. One group of students may h...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Hello, Is there a way to change the black bar across the top of the home page?  Currently my course name is on it - I don't need to remove it, just wondering if I could make it wider, change the color, etc? Also, there is a very large space between t...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

In the main Canvas notifications, I have discussions and discussion posts both set to daily summaries.  My email at the top of the column is my normal regular email that they were coming to last semester. In the course, I have daily or weekly emails ...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 Replies

Hello. I'm setting up a Mastery Paths course. We've decided to order the modules so that they are in order with each successive assignment unlocking after the prior one has been completed. I'm able to successfully add each assignment week by week and...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

When an assignment is turned in will it automatically send an alert that it was turned in? How do I turn on assignment notifications?

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

For the life of me I cannot get my display name to change when I edit or save. I have tried to restart system and it still doesn't work. Also I would prefer notifications from canvas to be sent by txt rather then email but cannot change it. I did wat...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

In the RCE when I upload a PPT presentation that is a game it does not allow the students to view the PPT in slide show mode to play the game. I used the insert document for my presentation. Is there another way I should insert my PPT game?

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 01-14-2021 View Solution
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 Replies

TLDR TLDR; The default behavior with the old RCE when linking to files was to download the file. In the new RCE the default behavior is to open the file in Canvas in a new tab where you can load it. There appears to be no way to change the default be...

(Community Champion)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 01-12-2021 View Solution
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

quick note: I am a student. I want to be able to get canvas announcement notifications for my classes into a discord server I am in. So, I am currently trying to find a way to use the API to get a list of notifications in json or html format so I can...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies