Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LynFinman

how do I search?

Jump to solution

I am a student.  would like to search the content of my course materials posted to Canvas for a word/phrase.  Is this possible??  I can't find a search feature.

Thanks,

Lyn

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @LynFinman ...

Unfortunatly, Canvas does not have a search tool that would allow you to search your entire course for keywords.  You can use Ctrl+F on your keyboard to bring up the "Find" tool to search for words on a page, but you'd have to do that for every page in your course...which is probably not what you are looking to do.  There is a third-party product that integrates with Canvas called Atomic Search, but your school would have to purchase this product and set up the integration.  Here's a quick overview of what it does:

Sorry I don't have better news for you, but I hope this helps to answer your question.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @LynFinman ...

Unfortunatly, Canvas does not have a search tool that would allow you to search your entire course for keywords.  You can use Ctrl+F on your keyboard to bring up the "Find" tool to search for words on a page, but you'd have to do that for every page in your course...which is probably not what you are looking to do.  There is a third-party product that integrates with Canvas called Atomic Search, but your school would have to purchase this product and set up the integration.  Here's a quick overview of what it does:

Sorry I don't have better news for you, but I hope this helps to answer your question.

This "answer" is marked as solved. It is definitely not "solved". There is no search. Browser find is a horrible way to try to find a keyword across pages of content within a class. And a third party solution that our school would have to pay (apparently a large fee) for is definitely not something helpful to students.

Hi @ZeSteele -

While @chofer doesn't offer a "fix", it is the "answer" to the particular question. Unfortunately, Canvas does not currently offer a comprehensive search for course content.

With our Ideas Process, we have a request for a feature to be built-into Canvas! I hope that you comment on the thread and rate (star) the idea. You'll then automatically receive updates as the proposal advances through our Ideas Process.

How do idea conversations work in the Instructure Community? 

Comprehensive Course Search Tool (Searching Course Content for a Topic)