self sign-up groups - what rights do members have?

Jump to solution
jnijholt
Community Member

We use the formation of project groups as a first "pass/fail" assignment for a course at the start of a bachelor. In this period, we typically have a 10% dropout rate of the programme, so we absolutely want students to jump through this hoop and show their engagement in order to dinstinguish dropouts. In other words, if you don't do this assignment, you're not allowed entry into the rest of the course.

A day after the deadline for self sign-up, we lock it, download the created groups, and use these to offline start creating classes, schedules etc. (we have four five-people groups in a class, totalling about 80 classes... we're a large programme). Afterwards, we feed all this back into Canvas.

Group formation happens through self sign-up. A couple of weeks in, we now have students claiming they registered for a self sign-up group but were left out of the classes we created - through no fault of their own. The *only* way in which I would accept this story, is if (1) group members have the right to kick out people from a self sign up group AND (2) if group members that get kicked out are not notified about this by Canvas. Does anyone know whether this is possible? 

0 Likes
1 Solution
HeatherAhern
Community Team
Community Team

@jnijholt Thank you for reaching out to your community for support! I apologize for the delay in response!

To answer your question, only student leaders have the ability to remove other students from self-sign-up groups. Students can leave groups on their own so it is possible they may accidentally leave a group or switch groups on their own but only the group leader can remove other members. Here are the guides that relate to the permissions of self-sign-up group members. 

Self-sign-up leave and switching groups

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Student-Guide/How-do-I-view-all-groups-in-a-course-as-a-student/t...

Group leader permissions

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Student-Guide/How-do-I-manage-groups-as-a-student-group-leader/ta...

View solution in original post