cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Canvas by Instructure Release Notes (iOS 3.10)

In this update, the To Do list allows users to hide completed items, and students on iPad devices can hide or show grades on the Dashboard. All users also benefit from speed and caching improvements.

Download the Canvas by Instructure app in the iTunes Store. Version 3.10 requires iOS 8.0 or later.

Updated Features

< BACK TO TABLE OF CONTENTS

Dashboard

To Do List

The To Do List has been redesigned to allow users to hide items in the to-do list. Swipe an assignment or event to hide the item.

to-do list.png

Grades (iPad)

On the iPad, students can now choose whether or not to show their overall course grade. Tap the Show Grades link at the top of the app. To hide grades, tap the Hide Grades link.

grades.png

Labels (1)
17 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

I would love for instructors to have the ability to not show assignments on the To Do lists. Having links to assignments outside the classrooms encourages bad behavior by students - they navigate directly to assignments, bypass the course materials needed to be successful in completing the assignments, and then wonder why they failed!

We lobbied long and hard to get "Assignments" out of the global navigation, and now its back. I know this feels like a student-centered approach to LMS design, but it is not. We need our students in their classrooms instead of trying to accomplish everything from the dashboard.

If you want to do something truly student- centered, have an assignments page that checks off when they submit an assignment, but has no active links to navigate the students to the assignments.

dhulsey
Community Champion

The average on the course card is fantastic. We need this for Desktop Canvas asap. Smiley Happy

cadatko
Community Participant

Absolutely -- I second this! We try to hide as much as we can and/or lock down our content in the modules. This is also an issue for those of us teaching in the community colleges in CA, since we need to show that interaction is happening inside the course section and not just within the LMS.

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

Another problem with the to-do list is that it isn't complete. Practice assignments, reading activities, work submitted offline, etc. never show up on the to-do list. Students reasonably believe that if they complete everything on the "to do" list they are "done." They are angry when they find out otherwise, and I don't blame them. If we must have a to-do list, please make it include everything that has a deadline.

hvaughn
Community Contributor

I agree with Kelley about the difficulty that arises when links to assignments show up outside the course or even outside the "Modules" section within a course.  We, too, have found that too many student bypass important content needed to successfully understand and complete an assignment.  We use the Modules section to organize and present all content to students, and hide most other links in the course navigation pane.

tom_gibbons
Community Contributor

I've been trying to understand the resistance to using module controls that require students to view things like a module intro page before they can access any of the module assignments, so that they understand the lay of the land.

This problem with students jumping to assignments and circumventing the course content seems more like an instructional design issue than a problem with the interface. I try to promote multiple ways of accessing the content (like the assignments page, the modules page, content pages, etc.) with controls set to prevent jumping ahead inappropriately. In other words, I leave many things open as I can, and control access to assignments when they need to be controlled.

The Grades page links back to individual assignments, as well. And that's something that I absolutely want to happen. The Assignments page is also the only place that students can clearly see the Assignment Group in which a given assignment will be calculated. So, for me, it's important to leave those two resources available to students and adjust my larger course design accordingly.

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Tom:

What if your modules include optional practice labs in the form of Canvas practice quizzes? If you require sequential movement through the modules, then these labs are no long practice, but required.

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

I wanted to add, that when you just require a student to view the Intro page on a module, but don't require sequential viewing the students are still able to access the assignments in the module - or anywhere else they have been made available. This is what we want to stop, and yet want the opportunity to include practice activities.

cadatko
Community Participant

We do too. With the hyperlinks external to the course, however, even if the content is locked and they get a message that it's locked, students can still click on the assignment. This causes a lot of confusion on the part of the students and instructors leading to unnecessary emails back and forth. We should be able to have options in an assignment, such as 'populate calendar/syllabus with a hyperlink'.