cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Releases Q&A: 2021-07-21 Feature Option Terminology

Looking to discuss this feature from the 2021-07-21 Deploy Notes? Post a reply and start a conversation!

POSTING GUIDELINES
  • This topic is for feature discussion only—please share use cases, best practices, etc. regarding this feature
  • Please thread replies as much as possible to keep posts organized
  • Feedback to product managers about idea enhancements should be submitted in ideas.canvaslms.com (though linking to the idea here so others can find it is welcome)
  • Bug reports for this feature should be submitted to Canvas Support—bugs will not be triaged in this thread

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
stimme
Community Contributor

I agree with the rationale for this change ("This change indicates features in the tab can be previewed in advance before they will be enabled for all institutions.") for the options that will be enabled for everyone eventually (New Quizzes, Discussions Redesign, etc.). However, some permanent options are also listed in the Feature options tab. At my institution, the features we have set to default disabled but allowed include ePub exporting, Mastery Paths, and Mastery Gradebooks. I'm guessing those will remain options at the account level. If so, changing the name of the Feature options tab will not be clearer.

I think the BETA label on Discussions Redesign is perfectly clear. For options that are not in beta, not enforced, but will be enforced (New Quizzes), I think a PREVIEW label styled like the BETA label would be clearer.

Hi @stimme 

As the notes indicated, we have some additional work to do with features that exist in the Previews tab, and they will be moved in a future release.

Thanks,

Erin

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

Not really a comment on the relabeling of Feature Options, but for lack of a better spot, I'll ask here. This morning I see a new tab, labeled Integrations which says "no integrations available" when I open it. I didn't find any mention of this in the deploy notes, is there a plan to relabel the Apps tab as well or is this something else?

0 Kudos

@audra_agnelly The Integrations tab was implemented in the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-07-17) to accommodate the Microsoft Teams integration and new sync functionality.

@Stefanie thanks. We don't use Teams for our student virtual meetings so I just skipped over that update in the Release.

b_w_reid
Community Participant

Hi,

I'm not really a big fan of these changes, it makes our job as an admin really hard to keep track of enhancements. It means I need check many other canvas community pages to ensure I keep up to date with developments instead of them all being listed on one page. I can see how this new process is more beneficial for you, however as a customer it makes our jobs much harder. Could I request that you also link to these pages from either the deploy or monthly updates pages also?

Thanks

Bethan

0 Kudos