Canvas Studio original comments not showing in Course Announcement

Jump to solution
ThomasGillen
Community Member

I made a screen capture video using Canvas Studio.

I then added comments to the video in order to show this feature.

When I added a link to this screen capture video to a course announcement, the comments were gone.

I want to use these to show in order to demonstrate the use of the comments feature.

I am on a Mac and first used Safari, but later switch to Chrome, but the comments will not show, even though they are still on the video in my own Studio library.

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hey there, @ThomasGillen ...

I have a hunch (and please let me know if this was not the case for you) that you may have added those comments to your video in your Canvas Studio library *before* you embedded the video into your course announcement.  Might this have been the case for you?  I just tried the steps that you outlined above:

1. Created a 5-second webcam video of myself in Canvas Studio.
  2. Commented on the video within my Canvas Studio library.
  3. Navigated to my sandbox course, and embedded the video within a new course Announcement.
  4. Played the video, but I did not see my comments that I added at 0:02.

I think the reason why your comments and mine did not show up within the course is because Canvas Studio doesn't yet know which course those comments to be assigned to.  To put it another way, if you comment on a video in your Studio library prior to embedding it, those comments won't display in the course.  Here's why...

Now that you've added the video to your course Announcement, go back to your Studio library.  Find the video that you had embedded in your course, and click on it so that you see the "Details", "Comments", "Insights", and "Captions" tab.  You'll also notice something new on that screen that was not there when you first added those comments to your video.  Right above those tabs you should now see a drop-down list (defaulting to "My Library").  This is where I am guessing you will see your comments...in "My Library".  Now, if you click on the drop-down list, you should also see the name of your course where you embedded that video in your Announcement.  If you select your course, you will not see any comments for that.  But, you could add comments anywhere within the video, and they would then show up in the video that you embedded in your course Announcement.  I just tested this out, and it worked as expected.

So, it seems a bit strange to me that you can comment on a video within your Studio library *before* embedding it (as those comments seem to not be displayed anywhere within a course).  But, after a video has been embedded in a course, I can see where having the comments separated out per course would be beneficial.  For example, you could embed the same video in multiple classes, and then you'd have both of those courses show up in that drop-down list ... and you could keep those conversations separate because they are two separate courses...if that makes sense.

I hope this will be of some help to you.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes