Choosing the Correct Course When Importing from the Commons

Jump to solution
annmarierill
Community Member

If an instructor has one course that meets back to back semesters, how can he know which course he is uploading information to?

Here is an example: An instructor is teaching EN 101 Comp. I in the summer. The class is in full swing, and she begins to work on setting up her fall instance of the course. When she chooses to import something from the Commons, she is provided with a list of courses. The EN 101 Comp. I course is listed twice, but because they share a course number, they are indistinguishable in the list. SIS ID numbers are not provided in this list for the faculty member to know that she has chosen the correct course.

1 Solution
gnoack
Community Champion

At my school, all of our course names in Canvas begin with the semester. 

For example: "FA2020 - CIS 109 HY - GNoack - Introduction to Computers"  

We use SP for spring and SU for summer. 

This really helps differentiate between semesters over the long term.  Because the names are so long, it can make it hard to find courses in the Inbox and Calendar, but if you give your courses a nickname on the course card, that shows up in those tools instead and solves the problem. For example, I've given the above course the nickname "109 HY - FA2020".

Note, nicknames are unique to the user, giving a nickname won't show up on student's dashboards. 

View solution in original post