Getting Started with Canvas as an Instructor

Community Team
Community Team
0 6 48.3K

If you are new to teaching in Canvas, this page will provide you with some essential resources so you can create an account, familiarize yourself with Canvas, create a new course, and add content to that course.

Flowchart

For a visual representation of how to get started with Canvas as an instructor, view the Getting Started with Canvas as an Instructor Flowchart PDF.

Videos

To watch a short video series on setting up a new Canvas course, view Set up your Canvas course in 30 minutes or less.

Canvas Guides

The Canvas Instructor Guide has over 600 lessons that each answer a question that relates to using the Canvas interface as an instructor. Included below is a selection of lessons that will introduce you to the basics of Canvas usage. Each lesson also includes Next and Previous links so you can easily navigate to related content.

Account Setup

Before you can do anything in Canvas, you'll need an account and the URL for your institution's Canvas website. View the lessons below for help with setting up your account, logging in, and managing your user settings.

Canvas Basics

Once your account is set up, take a minute to familiarize yourself with the Canvas user interface. The lessons below will show you how to navigate Canvas and use a few of the tools that link across all your courses.

Course Setup

Canvas provides several tools that allow you to create a course and add content for your students. View the lessons below for information on setting up your Canvas course.

Course Basics

Each course includes various features where you can share course content, hold discussions, assign coursework, grade student submissions, and much more. View the lessons below for some of the basics of Canvas courses.

Canvas Teacher App

Canvas also has a free mobile app available for iOS and Android that is specifically tailored to instructors. View information about the Teacher app below.

Additional Resources

6 Comments
Community Member

I don't know how it was decided that it would take you 2.5 hours to complete this. Its more like 8 hours. The information is great however the time investment exceeds what I had originally planned for. 

Community Team
Community Team

givenste@butte.edu,

I'm sorry the material has taken you longer to get through than you anticipated. It sounds like you're taking a training course about Canvas provided by your institution, so you can bring up the estimated time issues with whoever put that course together. If you ever have any questions about Canvas, please let us know!

Thanks,

- Nathan

Community Member

Hi Nathan

Yes, I probably will. Sorry just lots of work to do this summer.

Terry

Surveyor

I had to leave my computer and I can't get back to the area that I was working.

Surveyor

Can anyone tell me how I deal with the validation of links issue that is now showing up?  I uploaded files and 3 days ago all was good. Now, one of my students tells me she cannot access or open anything that I uploaded.  I have been to Settings and Validated, but I cannot find anywhere that tells me how to "fix" the "invalid or unreachable links" message.

Please help - my class is starting in just a few days.......

Surveyor

hi