How do I start a new data exploration from the Data Explorer page?
When you begin a new exploration in the Data Explorer in Elevate K-12 Analytics, you must select a metric for your exploration. Your selected metric displays visually in a chart, and from there you can systematically dissect the chart by drilling down, categorizing, sub-categorizing, and/or filtering specific components of the chart. These steps can proceed indefinitely, and each action you take results in a new chart drawn below the previous one. Your exploration steps are always preserved on-screen. Learn more about refining your data exploration results.
Common exploration actions are listed at the bottom of your exploration, and you can access all available actions in the Data Explorer sidebar.
- You can also begin new data explorations from charts in your visuals library and from student scorecards. The metric or metrics are already selected based upon the selected chart or scorecard. Learn more about accessing the data explorer in Elevate K-12 Analytics.
- Using the Data Explorer is a user role permission. If your Navigation Menu does not include the Data Explorer link, this feature is restricted for you and other users with your user role. For more information about accessing the Data explorer, you can contact your institution's Elevate K-12 Analytics Administrator for help.
Open Data Explorer
In the Navigation Menu, click the Data Explorer link.
Click the Start Exploring button.
Start Exploration Icon
If the page width is reduced, click the Start Exploring icon.
An exploration always begins with choosing the data metric to be explored. Click the Choose Metric button.
In the Metrics window, click the metric type you want to explore . View the available metrics of that type .
To learn what a metric measures, hover the cursor over the metric . Then, view the metric definition .
You can also search for a metric .
To select a metric, click a metric name .
To select multiple metrics, click the Select Multiple checkbox .
To view metric data, click the OK button .
Note: You can change the selected metric or add additional metrics at any time.
View New Exploration
Your selected metrics display in the Metrics section . You can also view aggregated values for each metric .
To change or add to the selected metrics, click the Metrics Settings icon .
You can view recommended exploration actions in the What's Next section . Refine your metrics using the Filter  and Categorize  options. If your institution has created Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for your selected metrics, the Data Explorer displays the Filter on segments option . To find additional exploration options in the Data Explorer sidebar, click the Tools Menu icon . Learn more about actions you can use to refine a data exploration.
View Exploration Results
Each exploration action produces a new chart at the bottom of your exploration .
You can modify a displayed chart using the chart options. To move a chart up in the exploration, click the Move Up icon . To modify a chart's filters or categories, click the Chart Settings icon . To collapse the chart view, click the Collapse icon . To delete the chart from the exploration, click the Remove icon .
To continue exploring the data, use the What's Next? options , or use the Data Explorer sidebar Actions options . Learn more about refining your data exploration results.
- The first chart in the exploration does not display a Move Up icon.
- Chart deletion cannot be undone. To view a removed chart, you must recreate it in your exploration.
- You can collapse all charts in the Data Explorer sidebar.