How do you edit a video to avoid fast forward?

Jump to solution
EdithAmadi
Community Member

I need the student not to be able to skip forward and watch the whole video

0 Likes
2 Solutions
NoahBoswell
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello!

So I'm also a free for teacher user and I have run into the same problem. First of all what kind of video embeds are you using? I'm assuming you're embedding a video on a page or an assignment.

Something that's possible is going into the HTML editor and disabling controls list on your video. Most of the time, your students can click play but cannot fast forward or rewind the video.

Hope this helps, respond with any questions.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I had the same concern in my classes, @EdithAmadi. While you might be able to hide the controls per the suggestion from @NoahBoswell, I hope you also consider students who prefer to watch videos slowly or to replay sections of the video. This is especially helpful for students whose English language are still developing, who in my experience like being able to replay and read captions to help them understand the material.

Another question is how to assess whether the students have learned anything in the videos, regardless of how fast they watch them. In my history classes I ended up creating a discussion for each of my content modules and have students compare how a topic or situation is presented in our text and in one of the course videos. This helps me see that they have watched and learned something from the videos, and it helps them practice engaging in conversation with other scholars.

I’m going to mark both of these response as solutions, but there can be more than two. I hope our colleagues here in the Community can share other options for getting this important information to teachers inside Canvas.

View solution in original post

0 Likes