reCAPTCHA prevents registration for students in China

Jump to solution
HaroldAmes
Community Member

The addition of Google-based reCAPTCHA has made registration impossible for students in parts of the world where Google services are blocked. Having developed a full course with Canvas Free for Teachers for an international student base, this is a very problematic development.

I'm hoping someone in the community can help me find how to put this problem in front of the developers. Any help or direction is appreciated.

0 Likes
2 Solutions
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Per the FAQ document on the Free for Teachers server, it looks like the best option is to select the Help link in Global Navigation to connect with Instructure's support team. Your situation aligns with some of the examples listed on that page.

Another option is to enable enrollment by URL. This is explained in a Canvas Guides document:

How do I enable course self-enrollment with a join... - Instructure Community

I don't know if that process also requires reCAPTCHA.

I’m going to mark this reply as a solution. I realize it does not solve your problem, but it will help our colleagues who have a similar question.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
KevinMeredith
Instructure
Instructure

If you can send me the course link, and private message me the students who are having trouble, I can potentially lend a hand @HaroldAmes. Please understand that reCAPTCHA is implemented to mitigate nefarious use of FFT. 

View solution in original post