Creating Sections for Grading by Multiple Instructors

skhagen
Community Contributor

Let's say you have a lab with five instructors and 40 students, and you want students to work in groups of 4-6, so each instructor has 1 or 2 groups to work with.  Students submit individual lab reports for grading.  Does it make sense to create sections so that each instructor grades their section only?  This seems like a good solution for divvying up grading work and making sure each person is grading their assigned stuff.  (Other solutions I thought of so far include having students put their grader's name in their filename or at the top of their submission.)

This course has no sections within it currently.

Will this mess with the SIS integration in some way?  I've tried it in a sandbox, but not in a live course shell.

If the section structure were to change part way through the semester into groups of 2 students, still assigned consistently to instructors but maybe to different instructors than from before, is it okay to switch a student's section part way through the course?

Are there better ways to approach divisions of labor in Speedgrader that I'm missing?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

0 Likes