Account Notification Settings - hidden descriptive text needs a visual indicator or icon

0 Likes

Issue:

In the user's Account Notification Settings (https://[institution].instructure.com/profile/communication ) there are hidden black popup boxes with descriptive text for each type of notification, that only appear when the cursor is over the visible text.

See the following screenshot for an example of what I mean with the popup boxes about notification types:

Screenshot of Account Notification Settings with popup box

Suggestion:

There should be a visual indicator or icon to indicate that there is descriptive text for each type of notification. It would be better if the user saw that there was a descriptive text without having to discover it by accidentally hovering with their cursor over the notification text.

This can be solved by using the icons that are used elsewhere in Canvas (like the icons in the course settings page) or a dropdown arrow (for example under Feature Settings https://[institution].instructure.com/profile/settings ).

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@d_j_corbin  Thank you so much for bringing this behavior to our attention. Our Accessibility team has reviewed your idea and determined that this is a bug; they've created an engineering ticket accordingly. 

As this doesn't need to be evaluated for prioritization by the community, we've archived the idea. If you'd like to be informed of the progress toward resolution, please create a support case and ask that it be associated with the accessibility ticket for notifications.

d_j_corbin
Community Participant
Author

That's great to hear, @Stef_retired 🙂 Could I please get the engineering ticket number? This feature request is a follow-up of our accessibility review of Canvas, so I'd like to add the ticket number to my report. 

Also, one thing that vexes me is that I actually sent this in to the accessibility team, who then created it as a case (#07773297) and the answer was the following: "The engineers with whom I consulted have determined that we will not be adding identifiers in addition to the existing bold text at this time. However, if you would like, you may add a feature request in the community".

So I am wondering why I had to first send this to the accessibility team as a case, who denied my request, and then had to create a feature request, and the same team then approved my request? Should I just create feature requests for all of the things we found in our review that were sent in as cases and not improved, despite the fact that they are not meeting WCAG requirements? Seems a bit cumbersome.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, @d_j_corbin , I apologize that you had such a bad experience; it sounds like a classic case of crossed wires, and we'll do our best to keep that from happening again.

I'll give the case number to our Accessibility team and ask them to reopen it and then associate it with their engineering ticket. Thanks for your patience.

d_j_corbin
Community Participant
Author

Thanks so much for your help! 🙂