Adding Screen Capture to Video Recording for Presentations

It would be great if the video recording tool in the rich text editor had the option to select either the webcam or the computer screen/application for presentation purposes. 

This would be really useful for students who want to record their voice over their PowerPoint presentation, or something else where it makes more sense for the student's computer screen to be show rather than their face. 

5 Comments
awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi  @gloria_minnihan  Welcometo the Canvas Community and thank you for taking the time to share this idea. I did some searching and while it looks like there are some looking for this on the instructor side SpeedGrader (https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3986-screen-capture-with-audio-as-a-comment-option ) I did not see a version that was for the using the Rich Content Editor as a student on submissions so thank you again and I hope to see you soon!

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @gloria_minnihan ...

Has your school looked at the Arc product by Instructure?  Arc would allow you to do all the things you are asking for.  Check out these links:

wjh159
Community Novice

Perhaps I misunderstood the idea, but I think this is already a feature you can use when you record screen capture with Arc. When I choose, "screen capture," it gives me the option to record the screen capture and the webcam simultaneously (i.e., "both"). While recording, you can choose whether the webcam only or the screen capture only is showing or you can choose to show the webcam in the bottom-right corner of the screen capture. I would *love* to see a split screen, though, with the screen capture on half the screen and the webcam on the other half. 

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@wjh159 ...

Not every school has Arc because it is an extra feature in Canvas that you have to pay for.  For Gloria's request, her school may not have purchased Arc...thus the reasoning for her Feature Idea.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.