Archive content

0 Likes
(3)

I have had several teachers request the ability to archive content.  As we move further into COVID learning the amount of content contained in courses is becoming cumbersome at best.  Adding the ability for teachers to archive content (assignments, pages, quizzes) that they not longer need will make navigation much easier on the teacher side.  As the year progresses the amount of content will continue to grow and become more and more difficult to navigate.

Tags (2)
13 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

@bconner 

This is an interesting concept, since it would probably also close off access for students/observers to look back.

We can open this for conversation, but there are a couple suggestions I have
1) break the course shells by quarter or semester - this will help with the size issue right away
2) If teachers aren't aware already, leverage collapsing modules and maybe even drag or reorder modules so the oldest are at the bottom and not always above the scroll

bconner
Community Explorer
Author

@Renne_Carney

Most of my teachers want access closed off so it would be perfect.

1)Our courses are uploaded via our SIS so we cant really break them into smaller shells.  I have recommend to our teachers that they export the course at the end of a six weeks and delete the past content so they can import it next year.

2)Some do use modules but that doesnt really help with the assignments.  Some of my self contained elementary teachers that teach 6 subjects have over 60 assignments and we are only in the 5th week of school so by the time we hit week 30 it will be really difficult to manage.  I have had them manage assignments using assignment groups and setting the weight to 0% and drop the old assignments in but archive would be better in my opinion.

gilmanl
Community Member

I am an instructor, and I have already corrected and given feedback on many assignments in the first weeks of school. My assignments page takes a long time to load, and when I am trying to link to an assignment within canvas, I have to scroll and keep "loading more" assignments to get to the one I want. I would LOVE to be able to move assignments that have already been completed by all students into a different area of canvas.

Thanks.

ArtySpangles
Community Member

Way to hide all work from a date period. Schools work six/nine week sections. 

bconner
Community Explorer
Author

It is also becoming cumbersome to weed through all of the assignments when linking as there is no way to filter.  On the assignments page you can at least filter by marking periods if you are giving due dates, but not in the RCE when linking these assignments.

Ateaford
Community Novice

We need a way to archive assignments. It is so time consuming searching for assignments to link.

ArtySpangles
Community Member

Yes, some way to hide/archive the whole six weeks or grading period... even the students find it frustrating to see that stuff. Please figure out a way to do this. 

mco3
Community Member

Could you please develop a mechanism by which a teacher can download and digitally archive tests students have taken?  This is useful for test development and record keeping. 

Thank you very much.

mco3
Community Member

Hey!  I think being able to download quizzes students have taken is a fantastic idea and has a lot of pedagogical merit to it!

mco3
Community Member

Sometimes we need to show the quizzes students took for accreditation purposes. It's also useful to review them to identify areas where students characteristically have difficulties in order to create proactive plans for address these areas in the future.

rom17
Community Member

Please develop a mechanism by which a teacher can download and digitally archive Canvas quizzes that students have taken.  This is useful for the purpose of analyzing items for quiz/test development for future use, as well as record keeping and documentation for accreditation purposes.

sdmeyer
Community Member

This would be of great value toward assessment in terms of determining which measures are most effective in the long-term.  Additionally, it would be a great administrative tool for record-keeping.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.