Autograde based on student input (ideal for lab courses)

0 Likes
(4)

I would like to request that Canvas include a new quiz question type.  To explain this type, allow me to use an example.  Suppose we wish for students to perform a measurement (let's assume students are in a lab class).  Next, let's suppose one question asks students to compute the average of their recorded measurements.  I would like to have the ability to communicate what operation to perform on the input measurements so that Canvas can automatically check whether students have performed the calculation correctly.  Other LMS platforms and homework systems have this capacity, and I do not believe it would be difficult to include it here in Canvas, too.  This would be similar to combining fill in the blank type questions with formula type questions.  In this new format, we would take the input from the fill in the blank, assign a variable name to each input (or we could have a list-type variable, too) and pass that variable along to a pre-defined calculation (similar to the formula type questions).  This would allow for the construction of student-centric activities, which will improve online engagement.

2 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.