Automatically Inform Parents of Missing Work

(3)

We need to have this feature added to Canvas! It is hard for parents to know when a student has missing work or did not complete an assignment. Most parents are not going to login to their students Canvas to see what they are missing. I ran into this issue time and time again when in the spring we moved to online teaching. This will also really help teachers not have to go through student by student to figure out what the student is missing. It would be nice to have a push notification or something similar added that sends an email/text/etc to parents after the due date of an assignment. That way the parent is informed and can easily see when their student isn't completing work. This is especially important now as we are making a blended learning classrooms! 

5 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Amber ~ If your school supports Canvas Parent, some of these features are already available. Families can customize their alerts for each student they observe. How do I set alerts for a student in the Canvas Parent app on my iOS device?‌ While not teacher-initiated, I still think they're helpful!

embriski
Community Member

Yes we need this!!! Infinite Campus has this feature and I MISS IT!!!!

ACullen
Community Novice

Agreed.  There was a feature in Google Classroom that allowed me to send a work summary to parents.  I would be helpful if Canvas provided this.

jmorgan1
Community Member

Canvas generates an automatic email for students missing an assignment, which is very convenient.  However, it would be really great if you could "cc" the parents/observers on that email.  As is is now, a second email has to be manually created for the parents/observers and it takes quite a little while because you have to go through manually and identify which parents/observers are attached to just those students who were missing that assignment.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.