Build Assignment using weak/unmastered outcome questions from question bank(s)

0 Likes

My students would like to practice over and over the calculations (problem type: formula, but possibly others as well) in posted assignments, but we do a lot of problems. I'd like Canvas to generate quick quizzes for them, pulling questions that are tagged with the outcomes they are weak in. Or outcomes they select and want to practice.

Context of this request: I want to build assignments in Canvas that pull randomized questions. You may think you do this, but not quite. I'd like a quiz of 5 questions, such that each question is a different current topic or variation. But currently to do so, I have to manually create 5 question banks and copy questions into each of those 5 banks one question at a time. For one 5-question quiz, that's a lot of time invested, especially considering the questions are already loaded into Canvas. It also results in a lot of copies of questions and a lot of different banks.

So... I wonder if this Outcome mapping may help remedy this and also help students see how their additional practice is paying off in terms of increasing mastery.

To clarify, we assign perhaps 3-4 HW assignments of 25 questions each. Those questions involve formula style questions, multiple-choice, etc. Those questions are mapped to Outcomes. I would like to offer students, at the end of a topic, a quick quiz of say 5 questions that pulls from those assigned 75-100 questions. That way students do not have to open, scroll through, and re-submit this long 25 question monster. They see 5 questions. I would like the option to (1) design the quiz by topic such that question 1 covers topic x, question 2 covers topic y, etc. Or option (2) have the 5 questions pulled from Outcomes the student is weak in. (I use the term "Outcomes" without truly knowing what it means. The intention is to allow the student a quick way to practice and grow.) The 5-question quiz can be done a bazillion times, but the point is that it is more approachable than re-doing the HW and is likely to be used more by students. (Especially for tough subjects like mine, where each problem can take 20 minutes to compute.)

Thank you for your consideration. 

2 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived