Bulk Section Reallocation

0 Likes

I'm a Canvas admin at my organisation and I have an idea that would help me greatly in doing my job.

The ability to change sections across multiple courses for a learner.

People have recently left our organisation and I have to go through learner by leaner course by course and change the section they are in to their new trainer this is about 100 learners with about 8-12 courses each that I have to individually go through.

This would be much easier if I could just go onto a learner and select the name of a section and it swapped them that section on all courses for me.

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@JaiWOwen  Thanks for sharing this idea. Have you used the enrollments.csv to make changes in bulk to a student's enrollments?  How do I format CSV text files for uploading SIS d...  provides details.

JaiWOwen
Community Participant

@Stef_retired enrollments.csv are great for adding students to sections, we use this when first enrolling students, but to change sections we have to remove them from the old section too. So even if I bulk added them to the new section I would have to go through and remove them from the old section manually.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for the quick response, @JaiWOwen . Are you also using the enrollments.csv to bulk remove the students from their courses? This section explains the available actions for *status:

• status*: This is how you enroll, conclude, deactivate (make inactive), or remove an enrollment in a course. Mark as active to enroll a user in a course, completed to conclude a user's enrollment in a course, inactive to deactivate the user in the course, and deleted to remove a user from a course. When in an 'inactive' state, a student will be listed in the course roster for instructors but will not be able to view or participate in the course until the enrollment is activated.  
JaiWOwen
Community Participant

@Stef_retired I don't believe we do but due to the way our organisation works we rarely have to remove in bulk, most of our in bulk operations are enrolments or changing sections when tutors leave.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for your quick response, @JaiWOwen . We'll move this forward as a request to be able to accomplish this enrollment change directly in the UI, and hope you will continue to explore the possibilities in the enrollments.csv solution in the meantime.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.