Calendar and to-do list combo

0 Likes

As a single parent, I have to have my child go to daycare, and there is little direct supervision.  I want to add an event so it will show up in his to do list, but if I add multiple events (like IXL, daily) then all of those show up in his to-do list.  He's in 2nd grade and will delete all the to-do.

The issue with having him just go to calendar to get his to-do list is that the assignments from his teacher are only listed on the day they are due, not the day assigned... which is also frustrating.  The to-do list at least lists them on the day they are assigned.

I need a go to place, for young kids, that shows today's work, that only goes away (or is crossed out) if it's actually done (like calendar) but also puts the event on the day it's assigned (why are we encouraging kids to wait until the due date???).

Please help!

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @pcurtis7 -

Thanks for taking the time to submit your idea! It's been in moderation for a while, and I'm sorry that it got lost within all of the Idea Discussions that are submitted!

With such a unique year for students, teachers, and families, little things can make a big difference. I agree with you! The To-Do list is functioning as designed. To-Do items are to keep track of the day a submission/completion is needed. 

I admire your dedication to adding events to your son's calendar. That's awesome! If he dismisses the to-do, there is a way to recover them, but he likely won't. As a parent of a Kindergartener, I get it. 🙂

How is your relationship with your son's teacher? I think you could totally suggest a weekly agenda page. What you describe as almost a "planner" could be teacher-created and linked from their home page. Many teachers/schools do something along those lines to help families and students stay on the same page, even when submissions may differ from initial introduction.

I think there are some features of the Canvas Parent app that you'll find helpful. While the manual to-dos you add to your son's calendar won't populate, you'll be able to see the official items. Anything that his teacher(s) add to Canvas will be added to your app. I absolutely love the weekly view, too. You can see everything at-a-glance, and items are color-coded by submission status -- submitted, late, missing, on paper, etc. 

What is the Canvas Parent app? 

How do I use the Canvas Parent app? 

Outside of Canvas, there are some great tools you could use with your son (and maybe even with your daycare provider?) to simplify communication and tasks. Trello is a great tool. It's a browser-based tool and an app! You can make categories (for him, maybe subject?) and then add a card per task. You can add due dates and reminders. You can subscribe to updates so you know when things are really "done" there too.  Emojis, pictures, and direct links to any URL (Canvas activities included) can be added to help keep everyone on track. The biggest downside will be the process of entering everything by hand, as there's not automatic sync available from Canvas. However, that could be a really awesome thing to do with your son on Sunday evening. Together, add the cards and talk about what's coming up.

Hang in there! You're giving your child a gift by being an academic cheerleader. 🎉

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived