Can the math editor be changed to not assume what someone wants to type?

0 Likes

As an instructor, I know how to use Latex to create anything written mathematically, but my students do not.  When trying to use the math editor as a student, and trying to type in intervals ,say (2,3], it is impossible to do so, because it forces both to be parentheses or both to be square brackets.  While this example interval can be written without the math editor, others involving infinity or negative infinity cannot.  Can the editor be changed to not automatically assume what a person wants to type so that students don't have to spend extra time having to go back and forth to the editor to get an infinity symbol or union symbol in between intervals?

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@KathrynB 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Is this the experience for your students using New Quizzes?

KathrynB
Community Member
Author

I believe we are using Old Quizzes

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@KathrynB 

Thanks for confirming that. Our product teams are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Old (Classic) Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated early next year, so we've had to archive this idea. New Quizzes incorporates the MathQuill equation editor. Once you've had a chance to start using New Quizzes in live courses, please feel free to come back and let us know how that is working out.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived