Change Order of Announcements

0 Likes
(6)

Since we switched to Canvas from Etudes, it has been driving me crazy that there is no way to change the order of announcements.  When I set up my course for a semester I want to order the announcements by priority.  However, Canvas always puts the latest one at the top.  If Etudes could allow us to move announcements up and down, I think Canvas could as well.

This is already possible with assignments.  We can move them between groups and up and down the list at will.  Why can't we do the same with announcements?

20 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

bryan_tayman
Community Explorer

Being able to change the order of announcements or pin one to the top would be very helpful!   

BCheung
Community Member

yes please! i would love to be able to pin an announcement to the top for a few days or move it and keep it at the top and still post a different one.

cpgalt
Community Participant

Agreed that the ordering/arranging of announcements is a serious need. Currently it is not at all clear how an announcement appearance date is controlled, and I find myself so often using the "Delay" feature to make it show up when i want.

skovis
Community Explorer

The ability to pin an announcement to the top of the list would be great!

medlint
Community Explorer

It would be useful to be able to order the Announcements according to time, importance, and relevancy.

medlint
Community Explorer

I'd would appreciate this as an added feature.

hazelcoltharp
Community Member

I strongly support this as well.  Since I import entire courses, including Announcements, from a previous semester, I would as well like to keep, but reorder my Announcements.  Keeping them reminds me of issues in the past, and keeping current announcements, but moving them, allows me to have documentation of notification.

jonna_radegard
Community Participant

Very good idea! Make it happen 😄

sherykj
Community Member

That would be a game changer!

CarolynCardwell
Community Explorer

We are new to Canvas and this is one of the first items our faculty have requested.  They really want the ability to pin an announcement to the top, or at least be able to reorder announcements.

chardin2
Community Member

There are two issues with Announcements:

1. The inability to rearrange them

2. The inability to hide them when necessary

Both of these issues need to be addressed and resolved. It doesn't make sense that you can rearrange and hide assignments, but not announcements!

DonDean
Community Novice

I did discover a work around. You can delay posting. The date and time you select places the announcements in order from what is available first at the bottom to what is available later at the top. This also hides the announcement from view until the selected date and time.

This way you can import all your announcements from another course then reorder their appearance. I also found that if you want something to in a certain order but have it available now you can select a date in the past to force a sequence.

Let me know if you try this and it works for you.

lbasting
Community Novice

Chardin2 wrote:

There are two issues with Announcements:

1. The inability to rearrange them

2. The inability to hide them when necessary

I agree.  These are such basic features and should not be difficult to incorporate.  Come on Canvas, get it together.

AltheaAlphonse
Community Member

In Announcement, how do you move/drag to top or bottom or even pin message to top.  Example: Our Welcome message should remain at the top for the first month, then upcoming graded activities (discussion, quizzes, assignments, Proctored Exam info, etc.).  How can we control what students see first, second and so on?

AltheaAlphonse
Community Member

In Announcement, how do you move/drag to top or bottom or even pin message to top.  Example: Our Welcome message should remain at the top for the first month, then upcoming graded activities (discussion, quizzes, assignments, Proctored Exam info, etc.).  How can we control what students see first, second and so on?  A similar request was submitted by:

Change Order of Announcements

DrDickBell
Community Member

I see several requests like this one. I want to be able to re-order my announcements by moving them around, not changing dates. I post the majority of my course announcements at the beginning of the class and want to sort them sequentially as they will appear in the page. 

kaswift
Community Member

Being able to put announcements in the order I want them would be super helpful!

ortizf
Community Explorer
Problem statement:

Instructors who use announcements in their run into an issue of not being able to sort and re-order their course announcements regardless of the posting date, thus this leads to a lot of frustation for the instructor and students when this ability is not available to them. A use-case of this would be if a instructor is posting many announcements and they want to sort and re-order a particular announcement to provide further emphasis to the students and so that announcement can persistently be at the top or wherever the instructor chooses regardless of posting date.

Proposed solution:

The solution would be to improve the announcements system by providing futher flexbility by allowing instructors to re-sort and re-order announcements regardless of posting date. This would decrease instructor frustration, and allow them to more effectively use announcement to re-order important announcements to help students not get overhwhelmed and for them to focus on the sorted/re-ordered announcement of the instuctors choosing. This would increase the user experience for instructors and for students.

User role(s):

instructor

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.