Closed Captioning specifically for Math videos

0 Likes

After myself and some colleagues proofread our automated closed captioning on remote class session videos, we found this particular software feature is obsessed with SEX!

When I say SET, or SETS, it types SEX or SECT, but mostly SEX. Another teacher reported that when the spoken words were "three fourths" the software typed "three for SEX".  While we had a good laugh about this, I suspect many people watching the videos while reading this closed captioning might be confused or offended. Since most of us will not proofread all several hours of captioning for any given class session, it would be good for the creators of the software to address this problem. 

I am pretty sure this is the result of a bias built into the software by programmers who did not take MATH vocabulary into consideration. So, perhaps it would be wise to develop an additional option selection that specifies that whatever language is being used to generate the closed captioning should be used within the context of discussing Math.

Having been a software engineer for over 30 ears, I am sure this can be accomplished. 

Thanks - M Cohen

5 Comments
ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @MarinaCohen 

Thanks for sharing this idea! Could you provide a little more context as to what tool you are using to auto-generate captions? Is this in Canvas Studio?

MarinaCohen
Community Member

Hi, @ctitmus

Yes, I am using the automated Closed Captioning system in STUDIO on CANVAS. 

I must say that the mistakes are pretty funny. But, it is the only way I can get that captioning (as required by Law) onto my videos at this time.

We do what we can 👍 - M

ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived