Collapse Replies in Discussions by default

(10)

When a discussion thread has many posts, it is beneficial to collapse the replies to see the main posts. When collapsed, each top-level post will show the number of replies and indicate the number of replies, and if there are any unread replies. This is an easy way to view the discussion thread. While there is a button at the top of each discussion thread that will collapse replies, and another button to expand all replies, the default when entering the discussion thread is that all replies are expanded. However, when selecting the collapse replies button it will change the view at that time, but when returning to the discussion, this is not saved as the default behavior. The default always seems to be set to expanded replies. So a student, or instructor, would need to choose the Collapse Replies button every time upon entering the discussion to merely see the top-level discussions. There does not seem to be a way to save collapsed replies as the default behavior.

9 Comments
jsee
Community Novice

This would also be useful for general class discussions if the top level replies can have a subject line.  I need an ongoing "help" discussion where students can post general questions about assignments, where to find materials, etc. but the current structure makes this virtually useless as a self-help tool for the class.  Navigating the mile-long page of replies is not user-friendly for students.  Sakai does a great job of providing this more effective structure.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

Yes this is something that might be easy to program and would be an excellent improvement to discussions.  Just make that Collapse replies button sticky for the future viewings. 

You might want to vote on this idea too:  Teacher-created Discussion threads or sub-topics

I'd also like to see student created threads.

fteti
Community Member

I concur with the others promoting this suggestion.

teacherjon
Community Member

I have read several comments on allowing for the discussion boards to be collapsed which is currently a feature.  However, I would like the discussion boards to default and begin in a collapsed state when a reply is made (or at least make it an optional setting).  As it currently sits, a student must either scroll through ten pages of replies or go through and click collapse on every reply to get to the bottom of the page.  Additionally a one line brake between responses is difficult to differentiate a response to a post between a new post when scrolling.

I currently teach courses through Google Classroom, Blackboard, and Canvas.  The current Canvas setup is like Google Classroom where you have a continuous seemingly never-ending thread and a student can't easily and quickly find what they are looking for.  I would much rather have an option like Blackboard where you can cleanly and definitively see the differing posts, yet not having the content expand until clicked on.

ellisonl15
Community Participant

Yes, this would be great and would save my finger miles of scrolling. Please do this. And I find it difficult to see the difference in levels of replies, so this may help with that as well. (It's hard for me to visually identify a comment that's a reply to a reply rather than a reply to the top level post.) 

LisaNance
Community Member

Blackboard had the list view for Discussions so that you did not have to scroll past fifty other discussions and replies. 

Canvas view is cluttered, busy and unorganized. 

Provide an option to shrink individual posts and replies. 

Canvas - meh so far.

MrDilloughery
Community Member

Yes, please add this. Should be the default settings or at least a checkbox setting we can choose when setting up the discussion

LisaNance
Community Member

I am not a fan of Canvas.   They also do not provide Submission Confirmations like Blackboard did.   What genius on a college school board would not consider the necessity of that before agreeing to purchase a million dollar software system. I am frustrated.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.