Color Code Headings in Modules

0 Likes
(2)

Hi!

It would be cool to have the ability to color-code heading on the Modules page.  

Tags (2)
10 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@dposner 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Could you elaborate on the intention behind displaying module headers in different colors? Using color as the sole visual means for conveying an intended meaning does not meet accessibility standards, as it disadvantages students who have color vision deficiency.

Please read through W3C Use of Color and What are the Canvas accessibility standards? to learn more—and then let us know more about the use case for the colors.

cejones
Community Explorer

How about if indentation is required to create different colors? 

The indentation presumably helps the visually impaired, while adding colors helps everyone else.  With everything now just a giant column of black and white text in black and white boxes, it is visually cluttered and pretty ugly to look at.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@cejones Would indentation allow someone with color vision deficiency to distinguish the difference between a module with a blue-colored header and a module with a red-colored header? To that person, both modules would be indented, which doesn't provide a differentiation between the two.

I like where this conversation is going, and hope to hear more from others about ways they would be able to add spice to the modules display while being mindful of all learners' needs.

cejones
Community Explorer

Perhaps if each of four or five distinct color choices were associated with its own symbol.  The symbol could precede the title of each module as a sort of bullet point.  Thus, a red title could begin with a circle, blue with a triangle, green with a square, and yellow with a star.  The symbol would be the same size as the capital letter beginning each title.

Would this work?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@cejones That's a good idea. FYI, teachers can already add symbols to module headers, text headers, and even the titles of the items within the modules by copy-pasting emoji into them. That might be a good interim solution for this use case. In the meantime, let's ask @dposner to consider modifying the idea description so that the request conforms with accessibility standards.

cejones
Community Explorer

Thanks! I've added simple shape emojis to my titles, and it does make it much easier to visually separate lab assignments from quiz study guides from misc. housekeeping modules.  Given the technology and email overload that students are suffering from, I wanted to do what I could to prevent students from somehow missing the study guides.

It would be nicer to have standard Canvas symbols rather than the emojis.  If I stick with standard shapes on my Mac, I can only do 🔴, 🔶, and 🟦 because green and other colors overlap with one of these three shapes.  🟢🟣🟤🟩🔷🟨️  But at least the colors are deep and vivid!  (You guys wouldn't pick weak pastels, would you?)

When you say 'let's ask', I assume you'd be asking?

Thanks again for helping out!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@cejones Yes, that's why I tagged @dposner ! That's the ask. 🙂

Also, there are lots of sources from which teachers can copy and paste symbols. Check out 

Full Emoji List, v13.0 

https://www.emojione.com/ 

EmojiCopy | Simple emoji copy and paste by EmojiOne™

https://emojipedia.org/ 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@dposner 

Since we haven't heard from you, we're going to archive this conversation. If you or any of the participants in this thread would like to collaborate on sharing a new idea conversation prompt that both requests this color coding capability AND conforms with accessibility standards, we'd be happy to move the new one forward.

Thanks!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

SaraKoford
Community Novice

The module banner for individual subjects is too large, making it difficult to display in the classroom. Also, module headers should be color customizable to help color code subjects and highlight important modules for students.