Files uploaded within unpublished modules should be unpublished

(2)

You can create unpublished modules, assignments, quizzes, etc. which aren't visible to student view.  However, if you upload a file to any unpublished module, by default it is published if your Files tab is published.  That seems to be a really bad idea -- something you only put in an unpublished spot is visible in a different spot. This is disastrous for exams.  Yes, there are probably instructions about this behavior somewhere, but it is certainly not what one expects, nor is likely to check for by oneself unless you are a Canvas guru.

It would seem to be a better design to have a default file folder within the Files tab that is called Unpublished which has the default property as an unpublished folder, and that any files that are uploaded into unpublished sections by default go into this folder.  When and if the module/quiz/assignment is published, the file is just moved by default into the Files root, from which it can be moved elsewhere if desired (to other published or unpublished folders).

I would never even have found out about this save for one very honest student. This post is a follow-on to case 05531105

4 Comments
Steven_S
Community Champion

I hide the files tab altogether, but just in case, I try to post anything that should not be released right away to a folder with the visibility set to "students can only access this with a link."  That way the file does not have to move around in response to things like module publishing.  (It does take a bit of getting used to the red eye icon that shows up in the instructor view of the module page, but students are able to see those files only once they have access to the module.)  It would be great if I could set that folder as the default for new files to upload into regardless of where I am in canvas when I upload the file.

MrsDish
Community Member

A companion problem: If I publish a file in Canvas, such as in Module 1, but then ALSO link it later in unpublished Module 2, students who attempt to access the file through Module 1 get an error message, approximately: "This file is part of an unpublished module and is not available."

I would like Canvas to honor my designations wherever they occur. If I publish something, I want it accessible. If I put it ALSO somewhere unpublished, I still want it accessible in its published locations. 

dumkat
Community Member

I'd really like for assignments that have been published in the Assignments folder to be visible to students even if they are attached to an unpublished module. While students might not be able to view the assignment within the module, I'd really like for them to see assignment instructions and details in the Assignments folder so that they don't have to wait for a module to unlock in order to receive assignment instructions, since that often comes too late. Instead, I have to circulate assignment instructions by email, which is far from ideal given that I can't control or confirm whether students are even receiving my emails.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.