Friendly names for outcomes consistent across platform for students

0 Likes
(3)

Currently, instructors and admin can create and upload learning outcomes to Canvas with 2 different names:

• Title: Formal name of the outcome displayed to instructors
  • Display name: Also known as a "friendly name", which is intended to be more student-friendly and easier to understand by students and parents

At present, the friendly name of an outcome is only displayed on a student's Learning Mastery Gradebook, but not on other student-facing areas of the platform like Rubrics associated with Assignments.

This is confusing for students because the names of outcomes on their Assignment Rubrics might not be easy to understand and, more importantly, they do not align with the names of outcomes they see on their Learning Mastery Gradebook.

For pedagogical soundness, it would make more sense if all student-facing instances of outcomes show the friendly name for consistency and comprehensibility.

4 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

This is a great idea, @jrathlin. The student learning outcomes that our classes have were written by faculty for faculty and other education professionals and not for students. I ended up creating a glossary so that I could present my course's outcomes in student-friendly language. Making the friendly name in the Outcomes tool more visible would make it more useful.

rob1111111111
Community Member

I couldn't agree more.  It would be great for student learning if rubrics displayed in student-friendly language.  In my course, I use the outcomes to populate the rubrics, so having student friendly language in the outcomes that displays in the rubric would be amazing!  This would help my students understand the expectations and guide their learning.   

Thank you for the suggestion and I do hope Canvas Instructure can turn this into a reality!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.