Individual Grade History

0 Likes
(1)

A student came to me asking why her grade over the course of a few days, in which multiple assignments were submitted and a major exam was in the process of being regraded. Since I couldn't tell when she look at her grade and what was graded at any given moment, my response to the student was that Canvas does not consider ungraded assignments in her tally, so her grade likely changed up or down as assignments were submitted.

It would be wonderful to be able to see a chart or history of an individual student's overall grade average, updated as assignments are graded. That would permit instructors easily to identify that, for example, Student X's overall course grade changed on a particular date after Assignment Z was graded and then again after Exam XX was graded on another date, resulting in an overall change in the final grade.

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@BP8790  Thanks for sharing this idea. Instructors can view course grade trends for an individual student in New Analytics:  How do I view analytics for an individual student ...  The line on the graph shows the course grade and instructors can click on the dot-points on the graph to see the activity that affected the grade's trendline.

As this is existing functionality in Canvas, we've archived the idea.

BP8790
Community Explorer

Thank you for your response. The New Analytics function shows student performance on individual assessments, but not the history of their overall grade average as it is impacted by each assignment. Or is there another way that I should be looking at it?

Thanks again!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@BP8790  The View Course Grade Chart Graph section of the lesson shows how each specific activity grade influences a student's course grade at that time: the current total displays at the top, and the left axis is the grade scale.

BP8790
Community Explorer

The Y axis on the left is the grade for each individual assignment, not the overall course average. Is there a way to see individual's overall grade average after each grading event?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@BP8790 You're absolutely right! I was reading the grade axis incorrectly: sorry about that.

We'll move your idea forward for further discussion.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.