Keyboard Controls for Canvas Studio Video Player

0 Likes
(1)

It would be great to have a few extra functions for the Canvas Studio video player tied to keys, such as:

• Spacebar to pause
  • Up and Down arrows for volume control

Thank you!

12 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@Valentiin I just recorded a video using the inbuilt video recorder in Canvas and saved it on a page. When I played it back, pressing the space bar paused the playback. In addition, pressing the left and right arrows on my keyboard advanced the video playback to the beginning and end respectively.

Would you double-check your own instance and then revise the idea as necessary?

Thanks.

Valentiin
Community Member
Author

Hello Stefanie,

I think the player works differently depending on where the video is. Most lecturers have the videos available from the modules tab, and in there the spacebar doesn't work for me.

Regarding the left and right arrows, I know they advance the video. I was asking about the Up and Down arrows could be used to decrease and increase the volume. 

Thanks

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Valentiin In order for an instructor to provide a video to students in a module, they would need to upload an external file. These could be created in any third-party program, which means that Canvas wouldn't necessarily be able to influence how the controls are designed for the player.

So while we would be able to move this idea forward for changes that are specific to the Canvas media player built into Canvas, it's not something that we could implement as a global change to cover any and all third-party video players instructors might use to record their media.

That said, if you can confirm that your teachers are using Canvas Studio to incorporate their videos into modules, you can revise the idea to limit it to the controls available to students in Studio videos; that's something we can influence.

Just let us know. Thanks!

Valentiin
Community Member
Author

I see. I think it just depends on each module.

Though I would think that, even though there are 2 different players, that both are controlled by Canvas, since they're both on the website. Is that not the case?

I don't think the recording software used by the professors is related to the media player, as long as it has an accepted format.

Thanks.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Valentiin 

Though I would think that, even though there are 2 different players, that both are controlled by Canvas, since they're both on the website. Is that not the case?

Not necessarily. If, for example, the instructor provides a YouTube video through an external link, the player that launches in the module progression would be controlled by YouTube. The same would hold true for a video hosted in Vimeo.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Valentiin That said, we encourage you to edit the idea so that it is focused on Canvas Studio and/or embedded videos in pages using the inbuilt Canvas media recorder; that will allow us to move it forward for further conversation. You can edit the idea by clicking on the three vertical dots (aka "skinny snowman") at the upper right of the page.

Valentiin
Community Member
Author

In case this helps, here is what I'm referring to. From the url, it seems that the video is uploaded directly, and not an external link or embeded video. 

Valentiin_0-1612452919421.png

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Valentiin That is a great help! Yes, that is a Canvas Studio video. Would you please edit the idea title and description to reflect that?

Valentiin
Community Member
Author

Sure thing, thank you!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

smendoza-fh
Community Member

My biggest gripe with the video player is when you click the arrow button to make the video player full screen. The video player will go into full-screen mode, but the full-screen button is still selected, and when you press space bar, it will minimize the video player. In addition, the space bar does not pause/start the video unless I click within the video (something other than the toolbar).

I think the space bar and arrow keys (left and right to skip ahead or back) should work independently regardless if you've recently clicked a button in the video's toolbar.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.