Live Production Database Replication

0 Likes
(11)

A read-only live production database replication instance we can query to help us troubleshoot issues and also get up-to-the-minute data on user, course and enrollment issues/status.

Other LMS solutions do offer this and it is extremely helpful to system admins.

Attempting to get full loads of large datasets like enrollment data from the API is a very tedious & inefficient programmatic looping task.  Having a read-only database replication from our live production instances would really help.  Canvas can exclude any technical fields/tables/views/procedures from our view that they deem inappropriate for customers to have access to.  We mainly need User, Course, Enrollment and Activity data.

4 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Code-with-Ski
Community Participant

For User, Course, and Enrollment, is there additional data that you need that isn't in the provisioning reports?

I know it isn't live data, but definitely looking forward to Canvas Data 2 becoming available since it is supposed to refresh every 4 hours.

DanL
Community Explorer
Author

Oh, that will be nice.  Hadn't heard about that. Thanks!

Still, nothing beats direct SQL access to a live replicated database.

Often we check our updates immediately to see if they had the desired effect, because as we all know, even when a scheduled job says it "completed" there can be many exceptions to a fully successful data update.

I doubt they will provide this, but I can still dream! (that 100s of you will also want this and bump its priority LOL)

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!