New Quizzes Suggestions

0 Likes
  • Needs ability to restrict answers until specific date and/or Last attempt (classic partially supported this)
  • Needs ability to import questions from other formats that QTI 1.2 or 2.1
    • only publisher I have found that supports that format at all is Cengage and even them only through cognero
  • Needs better sorting, grouping, choosing tools from the item bank
    • should be able to randomly choose multiple choice questions for example
    • or tell it to pick 2 true/false and 8 MC from the item bank
  • need better import from old question bank to new item bank
  • would be useful to edit question similarly to classic tool, just select the tab (not have to enter the build tool) or have the build tool be the only tool. Having edit and build leads to clunky interface
  • When importing into the item bank, stop having the import rename the item bank
    • there is no good reason why you should need to create an item bank with a name, then on import it changes the name, then you have to rename again to get it how you want

Apologies if some of this has already been mentioned, these are things I have run into as I have been trying to switch from blackboard to Canvas.

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for sharing these ideas, @PhilLongstreet . Since you're relatively new to Canvas and to Idea Conversations, you probably don't realize the need to search for existing ideas before writing new ones, and that each idea submission should be focused on a single request. How do I create a new idea conversation in the Canvas Community? provides detailed guidance. We're not able to move an idea forward that has multiple requests because it's not possible to gauge sentiment around each one of the ideas separately when they're grouped in a single request.

Several of these ideas are already the topic of conversation in this forum, so please search on the search term New Quizzes to find them and add your support and comments. If you don't find exactly what you're hoping to find, and if you've already asked the members of the New Quizzes User Group whether what you're attempting is possible, please use the guidance in the How do I create... document to write new ones.

In addition, the product manager for New Quizzes has been actively engaging with our community members to set priorities. You can follow the blog post at  New Quizzes: We're listening, read through what others are saying, and add your three must-haves to the list.

Thanks again, and welcome to Canvas!

PhilLongstreet
Community Member
Author

I appreciate your feedback, but if you are hoping to actually get feedback from the instructional portion of your user base then I kindly suggest that you change this policy. The majority of your users will not bother to independently segregate the ideas out to multiple posts. A better method, for example, would be to have someone follow the ideas and then tabulate them into a survey/forum where they could be upvoted or for others to agree with them.

In the same thinking, I as a user will also not got through hundreds of posts to see if my ideas have already been suggested as I am a volunteer kindly giving you advice on a product that you are trying to sell to Universities and other schools.

Currently, it looks like part of the problem with the Canvas platform is that you haven't been listening to your instructional community enough, as evidenced through the sad shape of the new quiz tool.

However, as it sounds like your not really interested in feedback from the professors using your product, I wish you all the best of luck going forward but I will not be participating in providing you ideas on how to improve this product until (or unless) you find a less tedious process for improvement suggestions.

Merry Christmas,

Phil

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We appreciate your feedback in turn, @PhilLongstreet . Fortunately, over the last six years or so, we haven't experienced many issues with members not wanting to post their ideas as individual requests, as they recognize the benefit and value that accrues to them and to our product team of conducting focused conversations around those singular prompts.

I'm hopeful that you didn't miss the link to the product manager's blog post where institutional users like you are providing their direct feedback, so in case you did, here it is again:  New Quizzes: We're listening  

We hope you'll post your request for feedback from other institutional users in the New Quizzes User Group

PhilLongstreet
Community Member
Author

Yes, I will admit, you have gotten a few suggestions, but as I pointed out you will not get the suggestions from the majority of your users with this policy. Simply because we don't have the time to be doing your team's job for you. Thus you are getting a very biased response base from your current structure/policies (e.g. those that don't mind spending all their time with minutia).

As a user, I am willing to report what doesn't work and what I need fixed. I am not willing to spend hours doing this (unless you want to hire me as a consultant). My priorities lie with making sure my students can adequately learn in the LMS. I am not alone in this, most of my colleagues are not going to be willing to spend hours on bug submission and idea tracking either.

Let me know if you ever get a system in place to easily & conveniently capture the feedback from your instructional base. Then I will consider contributing again, but until that time, I will, like I am sure thousands of your other users, cringe and try to find workarounds to all the broken features instead of providing useful suggestions on what needs fixed with your platform.

Please ensure you pass my feedback up the management chain, as I am 100% positive that I am not the only with this same feedback.