Non-downloadable powerpoints for tests

(4)

some of us teach multiple sections of the same class and images are required as a part of the test. Is there a way to upload a powerpoint that is non-downloadable (so it cannot be shared between students in different sections). I would also like to have the availability of files or uploads restricted (i.e. they can only see certain links after i have taught this or that lesson)

5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@ehughes1  Welcome to the Canvas Community! We have opened this idea to community consideration, but let's put it in context: Building a feature to "lock down" access to files could well give teachers a false sense of security regarding access to their files. For many file types, there is no way to give a student the ability to open a file on a desktop, tablet, or smartphone, without giving them the ability to download (and potentially share that file). Any object shown on a computer can be copied with a screenshot or a picture taken on a camera phone. 

Food for thought. Smiley Happy

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Turning to the second part of your idea, fortunately, it's not necessary to vote on that aspect: Using Modules, instructors can set prerequisites and requirements so that students can access content according to the release criteria they've set. Please refer to How do I add prerequisites to a module?  and How do I add requirements to a module? 

Steven_S
Community Champion

It is also possible to embed images directly in a question, which would by-pas the need for those power-point altogether.  The icon looks like a picture of some mountains.  In classic quizzes it is available for each question, but in new quizzes it must be added as a stimulus, which can then be linked to questions. 

In classic quizzes there are a variety of security options to limit student access to content within quizzes, and I believe these are coming soon to new quizzes.  Respondus and proctorio are both very popular tools for enhancing that security.  Both also have options for some sort of remote monitoring that might show evidence if a student photographed their computer screen.  Stephanie is right, however, none of these tools offer 100% exam security.

MG1
Community Member

I want to share an audio file with my students via the course "Files" page, but I don't want it to be downloaded. Is there really no way to do this? Seems like an egregious oversight by Canvas. I can't be the first person to request this. "View only" or "Non-Downloadable" should be a standard option.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.