Notification of Submitted Surveys

(13)

Would it be possible to create a setting in Quizzes where the instructor can be notified of a submitted survey? I am using Canvas as a platform to assist applicants for various external awards, and to complete the first of five modules, they must complete a short preliminary interest survey. Unfortunately, I don't receive any notice when a survey is completed, and I think many students are waiting for me to respond to them after they submit the survey.

5 Comments
rccallahan
Community Explorer

This feature has been requested by many of our faculty members. Ungraded surveys are used for multiple educational purposes, such as mid-semester student evals, self-reflections, and learning checks. All of these survey responses could impact the design of the course for the remainder of the semester (adaptive design), so it would be nice to know when responses have been submitted. Thanks!

seancummings
Community Explorer

Agreed. It would be great to know when surveys are submitted. My only concerns with this are protecting the identity of students, especially when the surveys are set to be anonymous and graded. Students need something to protect them from the instructor simply looking in gradebook really quick to see who had scores show up so they can match them with the new response. (I know. Not many instructors would do this, but there are enough concerned students out there that this needs to be addressed if this feature idea is moved forward). Perhaps if the anonymous setting is used, then a due date is required by the system, after which it will release all responses to the instructor, but the instructor cannot see responses before then.

JunctionCity
Community Member

Notifications are critically important for digital learning experiences, and I strongly encourage Instructure to consider this idea for future updates.

DebbieHansen
Community Member

Yes, I agree. Notifications of these submitted surveys would be helpful for a faculty member to get since it could help them assess a student's progression and utilize any feedback from the survey in a timely manner. I would also strongly encourage the implementation of this idea. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.