Notifications for replies to announcements

0 Likes
(1)

I encourage my students to reply to announcements. I do not receive a notification of such replies (and there is no setting to allow me to do so). Nor do they receive notifications if I reply to their reply (ditto). It would be very helpful if I/they did, because having to click through every course to check whether there are replies is a time-consuming pain. It would be enough if the announcement icon on the tile for each course on the dashboard was activated each time there is a new reply as well as each time there is a new announcement.

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@quiddity ...

In my own testing, I did receive a notification (via my e-mail address) of a reply to an announcement.  First, I went to both my account "Notifications" page and my course "Notifications" page to ensure that the line "Announcements Created By You" was set to notify me immediately via e-mail address.  (If you hover over the text, "Announcements Created By You", this tells you that it includes "Replies to announcements you've created".  Then, I masqueraded as a dummy student, logged in to my sandbox course where I already had an announcement created, and I replied to that announcement as the dummy student.  It took a few minutes, but I did get an e-mail notification that the dummy student account had replied to my posted announcement.  A similar notification was sent to my Canvas Teacher app on my iPhone/Apple Watch...because I also had that set up to notify me immediately as well.

Not sure if this will help or not, but I thought I'd share what I've found.

quiddity
Community Member

@Chris_Hofer thanks. Hmmmm. It does seem that I had missed that setting under my own notification settings (it's very well hidden!). I had if off, because why on earth would I want a notification of my own announcements? So perhaps that solves the problem for me. I don't know whether it solves it for my students, though. Will investigate.

Thanks!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.