Opinion Polls

0 Likes
(10)

Would you like to be able to add simple opinion polls throughout your course content?

🔘 Yes, that would be a great way of encouraging learner participation!

🔘 No, I would rather my course content remained passive.

Skip to results...

Yes 2,474,209 votes
No 0 votes
8 Comments
MW_UON
Community Member

Agree, Chris! As a Learning Designer it was really sad to hear that Canvas no longer has a native poll tool. Please bring it back, it's a tool we love to use in our course design as it encourages active learner participation and engagement. There are 3rd party tools but they are clunky and free options are heavily branded.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

sinhams
Community Member

It'll be great if instructors can create a student poll in Canvas. I found out that there is a phone app through which it can be done but not through the usual route of logging in on a computer. I would not like to subject my students to downloading an app on their phones for a class poll. Most of them already have the Canvas student app.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @sinhams - The Polls app has been retired for some time. Alternative polling options would be the best route for now. There are sites that have embeddable options that are mobile-friendly.

PaulSijpkes
Community Participant

Thanks @KristinL, unfortunately these all require an additional license and our institution is prioritising generic Polling tools such as Poll Everywhere which are not ideal for asynchronous online courses.

A mobile friendly, async option would be fantastic to include in the standard Canvas install.

ChrisLawrence
Community Member

@KristinL, here's an example of trying to use a third party product for a simple opinion poll:

Vote in the poll here!

Embedded results here:

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.

Oh, drat. Here's a link to the results instead.

Don't worry though, the ability to vote in this poll will expire in 7 days unless I upgrade to a premium account. 🤦🏻‍

ProfeMartinez
Community Member

I thought I saw a way to do it via Canvas. 

I just created a multiple choice question with the possible answers and then checked the stats for each course it was sent to. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.