Self-Enrollment Process

There is a major issue with the self-enrollment process. I have created several tutorials for my students to follow, but I am still seeing a high volume of the same issue! Students are locked out of their course once they log out after creating their account and adding the course. They aren't able to log back in without teacher help. I have had to manually add additional credentials to the majority of my students' accounts which completely undermines the benefit of having students self-enroll. After going through this process myself with several of my personal email accounts, here's what I'm thinking *may* be the problem. 

1. Make it clear to students to choose a username that is their email address (Canvas will prompt them if they try to use a non-email username, but the verbiage could be way more clear). 

1a. Have students type email username twice to verify it matches. 

2. Like most online accounts, force students to create a password during the account creation process. Currently, students only need to put an email and a name. Then they are logged right into the course. They can only set up a password if they check their email for the verification email and follow the prompts to set up a password. Some students never get this email because of typing an incorrect email address for their username. This could be happening when creating a password as well. They only have to type the password ONCE and the password is HIDDEN--making it very easy to type an incorrect password students won't remember.

2a. In addition to adding password creation during the account creation process, add two boxes to type passwords for verification to make sure they are matching. 

3. They could still have to verify their email before proceeding--but make that clear as well! Hoping these small changes will cut down on the amount of students I get who cannot access their Canvas account. 

Please vote!

Recap: add these features to self-enroll process for students. 

Self-enroll window needs to include:

Username Email:

Verify Email:

Password:

Verify Password:

2 Comments
ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.