Student Video Submission Transcript Feature

0 Likes
(6)

At my corporate education institution, many students are using video submissions, either by choice or by instructor prompt.

These video posts are not accessible — to students with a variety of disabilities such as auditory processing disorder or a seizure disorder, and also to students with temporary impairments such as, “It’s two in the morning and my baby won’t stop crying so I’ll do some coursework — but QUIETLY!“.

We are currently working on updating facilitator training and course language to require students to post a transcript using their choice of free transcription software. But this is an imperfect solution, because it asks the students to do extra work and places the burden of explanation on facilitators.

This is where Canvas has an opportunity to grow. Student video submissions should have an auto-transcript feature. (Either that, or Canvas should have an integration with transcription software.)

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

SarahGrunberg
Community Novice

Yes!! This would be extremely helpful and would make our courses so much more accessible. Thank you for this!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@hztasker07 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Canvas offers this functionality through our Studio product, as described in the Generate Captions section of  How do I add captions to media in Canvas Studio? : either the student or the teacher can request generation of captions for the video, and those can then be downloaded by either user as a file. Please contact your CSM to discuss this option.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@hztasker07 

According to WebAIM, "Automatically-generated captions do not meet user needs or accessibility requirements, unless they are confirmed to be fully accurate. Usually they need significant editing." Please refer to the section on captions from the Web Accessibility Initiative: Automatic Captions are Not Sufficient